21 replies to this topic

#1 TerryC

TerryC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 03:20 PM

So I ordered mine last week, looking at 8-12 weeks before I get her.
I have searched high and low for reviews from folks who has taken ownership and can not find any threads out there.
So, who has one? How does it handle with a 115 under load? Comments?
Thanks
Terry

#2 Gfowler799

Gfowler799

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 04:16 PM

Terry:

Wow! You ordered the boat I want (I think). I am trying to decide between the 18 and 20. What made you go with the 18? I am on Pine Island, Florida with a lot shallow water fishing, but would like to run out to near shore reefs in calm seas. I am thinking the 18 is all I would need.

Gerry

#3 TerryC

TerryC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 07:07 PM

Hi Gerry
The 20 really wasn't a consideration of mine, just too much boat at this point for me. I wanted something I can run in skinny water, I just sold a flats boat, and it had to meet a few other considerations:
Small enough for me to trailer and launch solo
Have a head, I have a young son
Big enough for me to take him safely
Be capable of fishing flats but feel safe going near shore.
Economical enough to use it a lot.
Not too much I'd change with the layout. The only thing i would change would be to add a spot for the depth finder without having to flush mount it. Otherwise I just love the layout, albeit without having used it....
I'm very curious how she handles going out in the ocean... Not much on the web.

#4 stogemiester

stogemiester

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 12:34 PM

TerryC is right on point as to why I want a 180 too, but would like the 200. When you guys get your 180 please report on it, im curious how rough its gonna be trying to fish in it achored up with the short length. I'm from the texas gulf coast (matagorda) and the south wind is always pushing hard in the summer months.
Thanks fellas!

#5 MiniPearl

MiniPearl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 07:20 AM

Got ours a few weeks back after a lengthy search. Our dealer found it in Canada. What a great boat. Did not get the package trailer and bought one that is better suited for salt water. The boat has the 150 on it and we've hit 44 mph with 6 folks in the boat. By myself I've hit 49. It jumps right out of the water. I like the depth of the gunwales and the security it brings to the ride as well as the storage area in the console. Its also very dry. We boat on the Chesapeake Bay and have had no problem with 1-2' swells with alot of boat wakes. As with all boats you have to find the comfort speed and for those conditions, it was very comfortable around 25mph. The boat is solid. The only issue we have is that during wash down, water will get into the front console area. They need to put an extension to the seal or some other fix. Our simple fix was just putting everything in a container to keep stuff dry.

At $4/gal it was getting to expensive to run our Sea Ray every weekend and this proving to be a great solution to keeping out on the water.

#6 Earl_25

Earl_25

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 03:59 PM

Wow I guess I was one of the lucky few to snag one up. The dealership in my area ordered 3 18 footers and 1 20 ft. They were all gone within a week! I joined this forum yesterday and didn't realize you guys were looking for some info on them. I gave TerryC a brief recap on another post so I'm gonna be lazy and just copy and paste :D

"I'm a newbie to boating so this is the first boat I've ever owned. All I can tell you is we absolutely love it! My wife and I looked at a lot of center console boats in the 17 to 20 ft range and this one stood out far above the rest. The Robalo had higher sides, more seating, and more features than many of the boats that were within our price range. A big feature my wife liked was the room inside the cc. It has just enough room to get in there and use the bathroom or change. I pile all my fishing gear in there when its just me and the guys. You won't find that in another 18 ft boat. Performance wise it gets out of the hole well and I've topped it off at 40mph. I take it out in the gulf often and she handles the waves like a champ. Haven't ventured off too far yet still tryin to learn the ropes of the offshore world. The hull design helps keep us dry out there as well. This is an awesome boat and we're very glad we went with a Robalo. We sure get a lot of compliments on it. The ONLY thing I would change on it is the rod holders on the sides of the cc. I think this is simply a design flaw because none of my rods will fit in the upper part of the rod holder. Maybe if they would have put it higher the rods would fit??? Stil trying to figure out how to fix this."

To add to that this boat is very capable of going in shallow water and fishing the flats. I go in shallow all the time with no problem (just make sure the motor is trimmed). Like I said above I mainly take it offshore tho...very versatile. TerryC why not flush mount? The cc has plenty of space there perfect for an install. I decided to save some money and do the install myself. I'm not a very handy guy and I accomplished it with no problems...after I got past the fact of cutting a hole in my brand new boat. I put a Garmin 541s and a vhf radio up there and it looks great. Any more questions I'd be happy to answer.

#7 TerryC

TerryC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 06:51 PM

Earl-
I prefer to use the bracket to mount the depth/gps for a few reasons, I can drop the boat off for service and not worry about the unit walking away by taking it off, in winter months I just "feel" better to disconnect the unit and store it indoors rather than the cold winters, lastly, I can change the angle in the bracket so I can better view the unit depending on my style of fishing. Ok, I think I covered it. Lol. Having said that, I just can't wait! The last 5 weeks feel like 5 months and I still have a ways to go....
I've been researching courtesy lights. Have you guys used the stock LEDs at night? Wondering if they light the floor enough to measure a fish and see... I was leaning towards adding led rope lights but was waiting to actually see it...
I plan using the boat in a similar fashion, flats fishing and running "near shore". Very happy to read real use reports to reinforce the reputation!

As for your original prop question, you should be able to pull that prop off and see the size/pitch stamped on it. I had to do that to replace a prop on a 50 Yamaha. Just keep in mind that stainless is a different ball game then aluminum. You may want to research it on the hull truth or a similar type forum prior tour buying....

Mini pearl, funny you mentioned the console flooding when washing. I was concerned about this after seeing a 180 at the dealer after a heavy rain. There was a ton of water in there, I was hoping it was due to the fact the bow wasn't raised and the rain pitched forward (there was a puddle on the deck floor too).
Did you guys get the Bimini? Curious about that too as I havn't seen one first hand.

Thanks again!
Terry

#8 Earl_25

Earl_25

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 08:05 PM

The stock LEDs are mounted in the side wall toward the bottom on either side of the captain's seat and put off a really nice glow from the cc back and provide plenty enough light to move around the boat. They are a real eye catcher at night. Its another cool feature Robalo threw in. If I were fishing a lot at night I would definately think about adding more. The rope light idea sounds pretty cool. Gotta let me know how that turns out. They could have added one more LED up front to tie them all in but oh well.

Yea the prop thing sounds like a hit or miss. I tried calling the dealer and they suggested looking at what pitch I have now and basing it off of that. I'll check out the hull truth.

I second the front deck/console flooding! All the water seems to pool up toward the front every time I do a washdown. I don't blame the boat design I just un-hook the trailer from my truck and raise up the front of the trailer a ways and all water drains out no problem.

Our boat came with the bimini added on and we love it. Again I don't know much about other boats much less bimini tops but it seems to be real sturdy and provides a lot of shade for the kids. You can store it 1 of 3 ways: laying it down towards the front (for fishing back deck), laying it down towards the back, or keeping it propped upright in its protective cover (which is how I keep mine most of the time). Ideally I would I would have a nice t-top w/outriggers up there...maybe one day.

#9 TerryC

TerryC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 11:23 AM

Good to know about the stock LED's. I may order the rop for rod holder area and really light up the floor.
I was also REALLY on the fence about a T Top / Bimini. Actually cost me a week or so because I just couldn't make up my mind. The Robalo T Top is just awesome, I just felt it took up casting room and costed an extra chunk of change. The sales rep spoke very highly of the Bimini as being very well made I just wasn't able to see on.
I plan on doing the same thing when washing down, tilting the trailer with the jack to ensure the water flows out. Tongue weight seemed a bit heavy to lift by myself but the boat was on gravel too. I like to really have a pitch as it sits in the driveway...

FYI- here's a link to the LED rope light I'm looking at. I have never delt with them before but the product looks too cool!!
http://www.floledlig...BLEDStrips.html

#10 outdoorjon

outdoorjon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 09:42 PM

Earl/Terry,

I'm thinking about a new boat - I have a Sea Chaser 220 bay boat. My wife and I do all near shore fishing out of Hernando Beach, FL in the Gulf. The R180 looks really good on line. I want to be able to keep any new boat we buy in the garage. We have plenty of depth - 24 feet. However, the door opening is only about 80 inches. I can't tell from the website what the clearance requirement is when the boat sits on the trailer. Do you know how tall it is?

Looks like a marina here in Orlando has one in stock. So, I might head over there to look at it this week.

Thanks,

John

#11 TerryC

TerryC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 06:03 AM

The specs list it as 6' 4" without a t top.

#12 outdoorjon

outdoorjon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 07:21 AM

Thanks for the quick response.

I saw the 6' 4", but wasn't sure if that was in the water or on the trailer. It is also kind of strange that the R200 shows 5' clearance, the R220 6', and the R240 6' 2". I would have expected the R180 to be very similar to the R200 or maybe less than the larger boats. I'm 5' 9" and when standing next to my Seachaser on the trailer, the windscreen seems to be every bit of 6' or a little higher.

#13 TerryC

TerryC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 05:57 PM

I was assuming it's on the trailer, simply based on the pics. But maybe your right and that's the height of the boat without the lift of the trailer? When I stood in the boat the windshield was eye level and I'm 5-9 too. Probably is w/o the trailer as the numbers would make sense, unless the tires are 10". Lol
Maybe one of the guys with one and measure. I'm still waiting.

#14 Earl_25

Earl_25

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 06:25 PM

outdoorjon,

I hope this don't steer you away from the Robalo but there is no way it will fit in your garage. Length wise you are good to go but height is definately an issue. I just took some measurements to give you an idea...My garage has an 83 inch clearing. My boat sitting on the trailer with the jack lowered all the way down sits about 8-9 foot at the highest point (center console). I too was like you and hoped to store it in my garage but quickly found the height wouldn't allow. The day after I purchased the boat I had to settle with going out and purchasing a boat cover.

#15 TerryC

TerryC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 12:39 PM

Hi Earl
On a different subject. I have a B-Day coming up and I'm looking at a tilt out tackle tray. It looks, from the pics, the console under the steering wheel is strait. The tackle insert I'm looking at is 24" wide and its a rigid star board material, if there's a curve to the console under the wheel it wouldnt work. Do you know if this is strait or curved? Hope this makes sense...
Thanks for being our eyes!!! :P
Terry

#16 Earl_25

Earl_25

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 02:03 PM

No problem...that sounds like something I'd be interested in. I will take a look when I get home. Might even post some pics if I can figure it out.

#17 Earl_25

Earl_25

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 06:23 PM

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#18 TerryC

TerryC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 07:20 PM

Earl,
Thank you!!!!!
Here's a link to the nicest one I've found so far. The depth of the storage box looks perfect and I think I'll want some place to throw my cell, truck keys....
http://www.boatoutfi...ol-Holders.html

Now my only concern would be the width, 25" may be a bit wide. Didn't think of that until now.... What do ya think?
Thanks again
Terry

#19 Earl_25

Earl_25

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 09:42 PM

The storage box would be a great addition. Now I'm thinking about getting one. I took a couple measurements to make sure it would work...looks like it would go with no problem. Width- 35 1/2 inches, Height (to steering wheel dip in the center) 24 3/4 inches.

Also I took a few pics of the led lights at night to give you an idea of how much light they put off. As you can see it puts a nice glow in the boat, but there needs to be one more up front.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#20 TerryC

TerryC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 05:44 AM

Wow those are a lot brighter than I would have thought! I did order two down courteously lights for the sides of the console to add light towards the front, I think that will most likely be all I need after seeing those pics.
35" on the console seems wide but I'm leaning towards calling Robalo to see if I'd be taking away too much structural integrity since the door on the front adds none to the console. I'm afraid if I cut the console and only leave 5" on each side it may twist, unless I add some backing for support.
I like your powder coating! I didn't get that option.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users