MGS

New 2018 R222 is listing

Two weeks since I picked-up my new R222 2018 with 200 HP Yamaha.  Great solid boat! 

But one issue: it is listing on a port side b/c both batteries are stern-mounted on port side not counterbalanced. 

Dealer told me that this was known old Robalo problem for a while, which is eliminated on later years models.   Obviously it is still there.

Trim tabs help, but only at planning speeds. And trim itself has to be significant, almost half the motion range in order to level the ride.

Anybody in this forum experienced the same issue? 

Appreciate any shared mitigation experience.

I have a 2019 R222EX and the batteries are more toward the center-line. No issues sitting flat in the water.

The 2019 R222 I looked at when deciding though still has the batteries on the port side. If you don't have a fresh water tank, you may be able to move one battery to starboard of center. Should help.6150328_20170222143911202_1_LARGE.jpg.c83d01425199e83bc14909083705ed0a.jpg

I am not buying this excuse that two batteries are causing the boat to lean left. This happens on my 222ex.  My batteries are close to center. I stand on the right side of the helm when I drive and I know I weigh more than two batteries. Shouldn’t the boat be leaning to the right if it were all about weight?  If I have my wife sit on the right side also (bow or stern), it only slightly leans right   So two people totaling just under 300lbs to even out for two batteries that probably weight less than 75lbs ??

i went through an issue two weeks ago where the boat would lean about 30 degree to port when going above 20.  It lasted two days.  But going under 15, it was level.   Then on my last 2 hr ride in the bay, it was level.  I never figured out why.

i would bet the farm that it isn’t two batteries causing the lean  

Is there any chance the boat isn't trailering properly and it torquing it out of shape.

When I had carpet on my bunks the boat would more or less sit where it was cranked on. I couldn't launch so I remove the carpet and put Glides on. The boat now seats itself evenly on the bunks every time as they're much more slick.

cant buy it's the battery weight,..seems quite a few folks mentioning the tilting hull  issue,..as if the factory mold getting the hull released to soon,..causing a "hook"..(warp) in the bottom.

Ah yes ,...boats are cheaper with you stay away too...B)

I wonder how the fella made out with the other 222....

I get nervous as I've been looking at 222's

6 hours ago, wildoats said:

Ah yes ,...boats are cheaper with you stay away too...B)

I wonder how the fella made out with the other 222....

I get nervous as I've been looking at 222's

If it makes you feel any better. I was on my friends 26ft scout last week. 30-35 through the Chesapeake with 1-2 ft rollers and it was leaning left also. He hasn’t figured out how to use his tabs. It was a little nervous, but no issues. And we did t even get wet from splashes. I think lots of boats mean left. 

thanks for reply.  been looking at Cobia...240's ..rock solid quality if you go through one.

I have the same issue with a 2018 R222, I am able to balance out with one trim tab about half way. It would be real annoying without the trim tabs for sure