Bob Landry

What are the Hoses For?

In the packet that came with my new R200 there were two lengths of clear vinyl tubing, about 14" long. One had nothing attached to it, the other had a threaded barb fitting on one end and what looked like a garden hose fitting with a push pin stuck in the cap.

I'm stumped.

11 hours ago, Bob Landry said:

In the packet that came with my new R200 there were two lengths of clear vinyl tubing, about 14" long. One had nothing attached to it, the other had a threaded barb fitting on one end and what looked like a garden hose fitting with a push pin stuck in the cap.

I'm stumped.

Bob

The hose is for the hydraulic steering. The steering fluid come in a quart bottle like motor oil does. The end of the hose screws onto the bottle, the push pin is used to put a pin hole in the bottom of the quart bottle so the oil will come out.

Dont prick the bottle.  IMO.   It will become a mess.  If you put the bleader into the helm and lightly squeeze it.  Kind of rapping like,  bubbles will come out of the helm.  Also, jiggle the steering wheel.  Kind of shake it a little.   It may take 4 or 5 different sessions to get it all.  Maybe check it every 4th trip.

8 hours ago, kingrex said:

Dont prick the bottle.  IMO.   It will become a mess.  If you put the bleader into the helm and lightly squeeze it.  Kind of rapping like,  bubbles will come out of the helm.  Also, jiggle the steering wheel.  Kind of shake it a little.   It may take 4 or 5 different sessions to get it all.  Maybe check it every 4th trip.

Been through it with my old boat. What you do if you have any oil left just put it into an empty container. But do what works best for you.

9 hours ago, ba_fisher said:

How often do you need to do this?

The only time you would have to do it if you have a leak or break a fitting off of the hydraulic steering like I did. 

A couple of things since I've installed a couple of autopilots and had to completely fill the lines and bleed out all the air. When you go to fill your partially drained steering hub try to make sure you don't create any bubbles. Move things slowly - don't shake. Once you get the fluid coming out (have the fluid held above the hub, I've used zip ties to hold it above the console), let all the large bubbles rise to the top of the container. Don't squeeze it in. When the bubbles stop appearing, move the steering wheel slowly all the way in one direction, then slowly to the other. Continue this until no more bubbles appear. Then you are finished.

You could also do it the way the manufacture recommends, similar to bleeding brakes by using the ports at the engine cylinder. I always have 2 quarts when doing this, but usually only use one. Any air you don't get out can cause steering problems. If the air is only in the hub, you can just add fluid as above, but if air is in the lines you don't have much choice and will have to bleed it properly. You can do a search on 'purge boat steering' to find some videos on how to.

I wish I had such luck. When I changed out my fluid it was hard to release all the Trap bubbles in the Piston at the motor. I find overtime they make their way out and into the head unit necessitating my unscrewing the plug and adding a little fluid three or four times after completing the initial Purge.  You know they have made it to the head unit when the steering starts to thump A little.