JimT

Blemish in hull side

Picked up my new 2018 robalo 202 explorer. It is a leftover, but new. I looked boat over 1 week ago and did not notice a 6"x 6" area in hull side which is raised. On pickup today, did not see until boat was out of shop area and in full sun. The hull side is deep blue and has good luster. Friend with me did not see it either. I brought it to salesman attention and service manager. He says they will make it right , but may have to go back to factory. I have completed all paperwork and a $10,000 down payment check has been cashed. I want to give the dealership the benefit of doubt that it was not noticed prior. Has anyone had similar finding and was it repaired well. I am pretty sick over this as I really like the boat.

I have since pulled the speakers which are above the blemish and see a block of wood glassed to the hull with wire harness secured. There is one on each side, but only port side has visible bump in size and shape of the block. I am concerned about a repair that may match initially, but show over time. I have not heard from dealer yet.

Edited by JimT
Additional information

I have a terrible blemish on the side of my 2018 R200.  It starts halfway back on my black section and goes from a nice shiny gelcoat to a scalloped, textured black that you can't see a reflection in.  Like you, I could not see it until it was in the sun and we bought it in Feb so didn't see it until after it was home.  I immediately got it into the dealer.  They wet sanded it and was shinier for a little bit but is no better now.  Took it back to dealer a second time with no satisfaction.  I gave up after that and just let it be an advertisement for Robalo quality.  And yes, I was and am pretty sick over it.  We basically like the boat but this one never should have left the factory.

Good luck and if it is any consolation, the fish don't seem to care.

I had an issue on the inside only the freeboard.   Right next to the helm. Looks like a 6” x6” section that was repaired. I didn’t notice it until a month after I took the boat. I contacted the dealer twice. First time they blew it off.  Second time that said it was from the mold???  I gave up also.  I really like my Robalo. But I do point this out to others looking at similar boats.  

If it's a blemish thats one thing.  If its delamination thats another.  Your boat will get beat up over time and loose it's "New Boat Smell".  I would try and relax.  It sucks.  But if it's not structural, try and not let it get you down.