kingrex

Yamaha Multi-Function Gauge 6Y5-8350T-83-00

I have a 2013 R180 with the Yamaha f150.  I bought this used a few months ago.  I was noticing yesterday that as I try and page through the digital meter I could not get any engine temp or oil indication readings from the multi function display.  The TAC and trim seem to work fine.  Shouldn't I at least see the engine temp?  Or, are these only to illuminate if there is an issue?  Thanks

I would like to have an engine temp sensor to know when it's warm and ready to open up.  Thanks

Out of interest to anyone.  Per Yamaha motors.  Red letter gauges don't give any info such as water temp or oil pressure on the gauge.  If somerhing goes wrong the gauge will alarm and the indicator will flash a warning,.

White letter gauges should give some temp and oil info.  Not sure how much.

2004 and newer motors have a NMEA 2000 output in the wiring harness.  If it was not specified with the dealer to install the cable, you have to fiah it from the notor to your console.  Matbe a 4 hour job.  $100 cable.  That cable is the engine interface cable.  As you probably know, all motors have computers in then now.  Plug that cable into any NMEA 2000 compatible fiah finder, chart plotter and you can see detailed info from your engine comouter.  Temp, oil pressure, rpm, speed, mpg burn and more.

Look around a little on the internet.  It's easier than you think.  I'm starting the install now.  Biggeat reason for me is I can easily monitor engine temp and know when the motor is ready to open up and run at high rpm.  Running hard when cold is probably the greatest wear on a motor outside dirty or low oil.

I have the same year R180 as you but with the 115 *sigh*.  I did the engine interface thing. It was an easy install. Don’t know about your 150, but my normal operating temp is 125-130F.  I changed the thermostat (a one minute job) since it was 6 years old.  Same operating temp.  The thermostat is 50 degrees C. I believe the engine alarms in the 170s F.

The hard part seems to be opening the bracket that holds the rubber grommet that pinches all the cables emanating from the motor.  Then fitting the wire into the grommet and closing it up.  My raceway from stern to cc has lots of room. Outside of that it looks like an easy job.

On my 2013 115, that was the easy part.  I took the top plate off exposing the grommet and the shifter, throttle cables.  I ran the interface cable alongside one of the control cables and done. Fishing the interface cable through the rigging tube took maybe 1/2 hour as I had to disassemble the Y where the fuel comes in and run a fish tape through there.

Good to hear on The Grommet. I've already rewired the electrical so I been in that tube and no it's a large clear shot.

I have the cable in.  It took about 3 hours between getting it from the engine to the CC and landing it in on the NMEA network.  That included strapping the cables, and making everything neat.  I found the rubber grommet at the engine has a design that allows you to cut out another small hole to fit the wire in.  Getting it through the ribbed 2" tube that exits the motor and enters the hull was one of the harder parts.  Anyhow, that is done.

I completed the job and took the boat out today.  The Lowrance picked up the Yamaha and gave some info I wanted.  It did not give the Oil pressure or the GPH.  I am putting in a Garmin soon so I will see what I can get out of it.