Bob Landry

New Boat Coming - Problems to look for?

My R200 will probably be here in a couple of weeks. Trading a R180 which has been very good, but the wife had 2 Footitis, so here we go. She's buying so I can't complain too loudly.

I would be interested to hear of the quality control issues you guys experienced on new Robalos, especially the R200, so I'll know what to specifically look for. It's coming with minimal options because I can do them cheaper myself using my local sources and fabricator.

"It's coming with minimal options because I can do them cheaper myself using my local sources and fabricator."

Don't forget, if the options are installed when you ordered the boat, they are covered under the 5 year component warranty.

In my above post, clicking on the underlined words 'Naugahyde upholstery' will lead you to a recent discussion containing links to online photos of a new R200's Naugahyde upholstery which developed spots of unknown origin two days after the new owner received the boat, as well as a link to a photo of a year-old R222 with Naugahyde upholstery which also developed a stain of unknown origin -- with both owners unsuccessful at cleaning/removing the spots/stain.

These are the first negative reports I have seen involving the new Naugahyde upholstery.

The linked discussion also includes general cleaning guidance for the Naugahyde upholstery which Robalo provided to the dealer of one of the owners.

Good luck!

I took delivery of a new 246 Cayman in April. Have not had any issues regarding quality. Have noticed the small brownish spotting on the Naugahyde cushions up front of console. The link referred above and a subsequent You Tube video showing the cleaning procedure is very useful. I followed the instructions on the video, and it worked. You will have to rub rug rub, but the spots were removed. And I do believe the spots come from sunscreen beings applied to people on the boat , especially spray sunscreen. 

But all in all, my boat has been flawless. And it has been run in rough waters , and no signs of any issues gelcoat wise. My electronics, power pole and jack plate were installed by my dealer as I purchased this boat out of his inventory. 

My biggest concern for the future is power coating on t-top and leaning post. It’s perfect now, and hopefully stays that way with proper cleaning and maintenance. Lots of builders have gone to actually painting the structures with paint so it can be easily fixed. Although power coating process in much better than before, I still will keep a vigilant watch on it and take action if I see something to start. 

Enjoy your new Robalo. I can say I’ve enjoyed mine and don’t regret buying it. 

I recently purchased a 2019 Cayman 206S. Here are the things that I have experienced:

- the screws were stripped on one of the Bimini top supports. They pulled right out of the gunnel they second time I used it

- when filling with gas the last 7 to 8 gallons takes about 20 minutes

- the plastic housing around the tilt steering cracked the first time that I used it. I think it was not quite installed correctly and got caught on the base of the steering.

- the surge brake leaks a small amount of brake fluid near the coupler after each trip

Other than these items, I am happy with the purchase and performance.

My issues with my 2018 R200 for the past 20 months since delivery:

+ screws that connect the rear jump seats to the boat became loose

+ 2 air pockets causing gelcoat cracks (bottom of gunnel and rear jump seat)

+ leaks from the hubs on my Coyote trailer

+ cracks on the floor of the console

+ T top e-box came with locks but no keys

+ the strainer on top of the live well drain pipe fell out. I reattached it with zip ties

Other than that it's been a blast!

The only real problem I've had with my R207 was the the battery switch. Mine failed right after an offshore trip. I'm not alone either. Thread is linked below. Replaced under warranty. If you notice any intermittent electrical issues, that could be your culprit. Besides that, it's been a great boat. 

Battery Switch Problems

Look carefully for spider or larger cracks  throughout  the boat, check transom, gel coat, deck and inside the console and bilge area  it's only warrantied for a year. I have found too many cracks and chips to continue running back and forth to the dealer 60 miles away, latest is a quarter size chip inside the bow fish box that I watched chip away while hosing down. 

Stripped or missing screws are common also once you take possession take photographs and report issues promptly to the dealer in writing with photos.  Quality control, fit and finish has a lot of room for improvement.   Robalo should also make simple and obvious improvements  that are on par with the cost of their boats. One example is on my 2018 R222 , the console switches are not even backlit and the cockpit has no overhead light, putting friction hinges in the console door so it doesn't slam shut in snotty conditions.

As for options I would definitely order the factory trim tabs, everything else your right you can customize and put what you want in the boat.

Good luck, and enjoy your boat