Bob Landry

Garmin 742

Anyone get this with their new Robalo. I'm looking for a GPS for the wife's new R200 that is on the way. It appears that real estate for mounting a display on the front of the console is in short supply and that the Garmin 742 is the only factory option there is. Is there a reason for lack of choices? I'm a Humminbird fan, but they waste too much area with the size of the case and the wide border around the screen. 

What are you guys using and what do you like and dislike about it?

I just bought the R222EX and opted to install the SIMRAD GO9 XSE with active imaging transducer.

The Navionics charts are better than the Garmin even though the two companies are one. I did side by side at West Marine. Also the 9" installed was the same price as the factory option.

One other note, with the factory option they install a through hull transducer that does not utilize the full capabilities of the Garmin unit. My transducer is transom mounted and I have Standard (80 &200 hrz), Chirp, Downvision and Side vision with both 80 and 200hrz.

Bought is at West Marine and it also came with C-Map Insights chart card.

Been using Lawrence for years, but just bought a new Robalo which came with this very unit- 742xs. Very impressed with it. In my opinion the charts are much better than I had on my bass boat, and it came with inland and offshore charts I would have had to buy separately with Lowrance. 

I just ordered an r200 as well and the dealer told me I could get a garmin 942 xsv installed on it and that it would fit nicely.  I went to the garmin website but still want more technical info on its capabilities if anyone had any recommendations on where to get that.  Dealer storing boat for me during winter so I won’t take possession until April.   Pretty pumped

11 hours ago, Nupesboat said:

I just ordered an r200 as well and the dealer told me I could get a garmin 942 xsv installed on it and that it would fit nicely.  I went to the garmin website but still want more technical info on its capabilities if anyone had any recommendations on where to get that.  Dealer storing boat for me during winter so I won’t take possession until April.   Pretty pumped

Seems pretty specific: https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/575476#specs

Have a 742xs.  Wish I had gone bigger.

I had the Garmin 741xs from 2012 thru 2018. It works perfectly and it is very intuit use. The charts are very easy to use and they have a lot info. Also i got the Vision card so that it works like a GPS in your car, you ask for a place and the GPS give the best safe route on the water with your boat specs. The processor is faster and the resolution is very nice. I decide to do an upgrade and I got the 942xs which is it is a bigger screen. Now the processor for the 942 is slower than the 741. Features are almost the same.

7 hours ago, RickR160 said:

Seems pretty specific: https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/575476#specs

Have a 742xs.  Wish I had gone bigger.

Thanks Rick, I ended up finding what I need in another thread, the search feature works wonders if you use it.  I'm new to this I'll figure it out.  I think my dealer wanted an additional $300 to upgrade to the 942xs so I figured why not I'm already spending $55k.  Can't wait for the maiden voyage.