Josh W

Yamaha 20 Hour Service

So I have a 227 DC and I am approaching 20 hours on the vessel. I have a Yamaha 200 and I was trying to get an idea about a "fair" price for a 20 hour service.

Three years ago my 150 was close to $300 to have the maintenance done. I'm doing the maintenance on my 250 and the kit was around $120.

Hope that helps.

My dealer wanted over $400 for a 20 hr service. That wasn't going to happen. I did it for $65 worth of lube and parts.

The Yamaha manua specifies which maintenance items the owner can perform. It's not rocket science and there are a lot of you tube videos on Yamaha maintenance,

On 6/12/2019 at 10:00 PM, Josh W said:

So I have a 227 DC and I am approaching 20 hours on the vessel. I have a Yamaha 200 and I was trying to get an idea about a "fair" price for a 20 hour service.

This is very similar to what a car dealer does.  You say you need the "scheduled maintenance" for your vehicle, and they come up with a list and a $400 bill.  Your manual says "change oil".

I did my 20 hour service and 100 hour service myself.  Quite easy.  Just don't use a torque wrench on the oil nut.

Make sure you check your warranty literature.   Do what you can if you feel mechanically inclined.   Only use Yamaha fluids and filters.  Watch some videos. Do one at a time.  When done with one, give it a day to settle in your mind.  Reflect on the process and look to improve on the next one.