Mystic jack

Trailer brake locking up

I have a 2014 R200 's with robalo trailer two axle disc surge brakes. After driving 5 miles to launch boat for season, the left rear brake locked up on my trip home with the trailer empty. Any suggestions to cause and solution? All help is greatly appreciated.

Go to a trailer shop.  Salt water eats break calipers.   Probably rust holding it shut. 

I was told to bring a spray bucket of water.  Home Depot water bucket with pump ?  Spray the breaks and associated parts, hubs etc after launch.  Wash as quick as possible after pull out.

Dont forget to spray out the piston at the tongue also.

On 6/26/2019 at 6:30 AM, RickR160 said:

Spraying brakes is also a good idea, so they don't break...  ;)

I assume by spraying you mean some anti corrosion spray on the caliper pistons.  NOT the pads and disc.

7 hours ago, kingrex said:

I assume by spraying you mean some anti corrosion spray on the caliper pistons.  NOT the pads and disc.

I was simply pointing out that you spray BRAKES so they don't BREAK.  Flush with fresh water after salt water exposure.

Thanks kingrex. I didn't think of spraying a lubricant on the  disc. I only tow the trailer about 1 mile from ramp to home on max 35 mph road.  Launch boat in spring pull out in fall, so if I don't fix by fall I'll fix in winter. Also it didn't lock up with boat on, only when empty. 

I went way back to old Robalo threads an found someone else with same problem and picked up trailer mtg phone and web address as well as someone in NJ that fIxed it.