kingrex

House Battery in Center Console Floor

I just got a used 2013 R180 with the 150.  It only has one battery.  I just ordered a Blue Sea add a battery.  I want to put the new house battery in the front of the center console on the floor.  I am wondering what if any support is under the floor and if I can drill into the deck to hold the battery tray.  Has anyone done this.  I figure if I had to I could make cross and top braces and drill into the stringers on the sides.  Anybody put batteries up front.  Thanks

Got to take some pix but very happy so far.  Wiring is close to done.   Built a small 4" tall platform for batteries.   Battery tops will be just under deck top with a lid over them.  Wiring should stay dry and clean.  Not all damp as when in the bilge area.  Also very accessible if an issue arises.   Plus,  I now understand what it's all doing.  And, I have a second battery.

I also keep a jump box with me.  Milwaukee nakes a sealed box that fits the battery in its shipping materials.  

So I got into the Add a Battery and just went all out.  I pulled the start battery and all its wiring from the back and moved it up into the center console.  It took me a good 2 days of staring and trying to figure what to do before I began.  After I was going it got pretty easy.  It’s no problem to strip everything from the bilge area and get it into the jump seat.  Trying to put it back in there would be impossible.  Part of the reason I opted to go with the batteries in the CC.

All the wire from the motor is #1 marine wire.  All the accessory wire is #4.  I used the best heavy gauge tinned copper lugs.  This job took more time than I anticipated.  I am a Journeyman electrician (not marine) and I have a good 10 hours into splicing and building out the new setup.  I am actually not complete.  I have another 4 or so hours into the battery base and that is close to complete but not yet.  I am going to brace the forward and back motion with a couple pieces of teak wood pinching the front and back of the batteries.   Those will brace into the sides.

I left the #6 wire that went from the back seat battery to the console controls and basically turned it around.  It is now direct connected to the accessory battery in the front.  I have a 40 amp CB on the wall protecting the wire through the hull.  It then goes back into the old switch where it can act as a always on for the bilge pump.  The old switch in the jump seat is now my down rigger and shrimp pot puller power.

I was able to use a group 24 start and group 27 accessory.

I put the batteries on a 3 or so inch stand to one, keep them off the floor, and 2, bring them up to just under the height of the floor.  I will put a lid on the setup when complete.  I figure is water is all the way up to my floor, I’m going down.  In all reality, I do keep a jump kit.  If a flood happened and I was still afloat with that much water,  I could put the jump kit to the switch and power the boat.  I just don’t think I would be upright with that much water so I am comfortable.  Besides, my wiring is so much dryer and protected from the elements in the CC.  It’s just a better place.

complete.jpg

Don't know why I cant post more pictures.  I shrank my impages to about .38 MB and it says I am too large.

base 2.jpg

Hmmm.  I went back with an edit and it loaded this time.  Who knows???

Thas is my base.  Its pretty rock solid.  All my holes are drilled and caulked with some marine partial harden caulk/adhesive.  I filled all the holes in the floor from the toilet with it too.