schottsky

Gelcoat question

I just bought a used 2015 r200 and was cleaning it underneath the boat for the first time this morning. I found something I hadn't seen before. It looks like one of the ridges in the hull has gotten scuffed up over time on the bunks of the trailer. It's still hard as a rock and I can't feel any strains of fiberglass but it's almost as though the paint was taken right off. I have a pic below. Is this something that needs to be repaired right away?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/exxDC9PwpCosi9qP8

This gel coat repair kit should provide you a good color match.

I would look more closely for a potential rub point on the trailer, in-line with the scrape, because it seems unlikely the carpeted bunk would cause that degree of damage.

48021972567_ce45550e15_o.jpg

Good luck!

The state's should be on one side or the other of the bunks not riding on top of the bunk.

crashl is correct, that ridge you describe is called a strake, which projects downward from the bottom surface of the hull...

48022523607_ec4c8e8668_b.jpg

The following cropped image of this online his-res photo of a R200 on a Robalo-supplied Coyote trailer shows the position of the trailer bunk (green line) inboard of the strake (red line)...

48022418521_ca64f3cb48_b.jpg

The following cropped image of this hi-res online photo of the same R200 shows the port side strake (red line) entirely outboard of the trailer bunk, with no portion of the strake resting on the trailer bunk...

48022555968_09b861e569_b.jpg

And finally, the following cropped image of this remaining hi-res online image of the same R200 may also be useful toward seeing how the trailer bunks (green lines) positioned to contact the broader flat surface of the hull, inboard of the port & starboard strakes (red lines), may help to center the stern on the trailer as it settles onto the bunks when you pull up the launch ramp...

48024236532_df9f458d46_b.jpg

Great catch, crashl !

Good luck!

I would repair it as soon as you can, because with the gelcoat missing it is more likely that water will soak into the hull; if left untreated, expanding wet insides can result.

Would suggest leaving it on trailer for a while to dry out first. Perhaps a "good enuf" repair for now, then leave it on trailer at end of season, remove the repair to thoroughly dry, then repair properly in spring.