Bob Landry

R200 - 150 or 200HP?

Wife wants to upgrade from a R180 to a R200. The current boat has a Yammy 115 and with 6 people in the boat, it is worse than anemic. With two people it would probably be OK. 

Looking for real world opinions and yes, I know bigger is better. The R200 spec says its only 400# heavier than my 180,  and the 150HP on the 180 would probably be great, so I'm wondering if there would be a substantial performance improvement with the 200HO over the 150 with a 400# weight difference. By substantial, I mean, is there a $4000 difference in performance with the 200? We use our boat for day outings with friend knee-boarding, tubing, etc.

I would like to hear from those who are running both with an honest assessment. That $4000 would buy a lot of fuel.

I had a R207 which is 200 pounds heavier, but carried 100 pounds less fuel when full. It has a 150 Yamaha. I regularly took family out with 4 people in the boat and 2 kids tubing and no complaints about bringing it up on plane and holding it there. I had trim tabs (highly recommend) which helped bring it up faster, but it was okay getting to plane before I put them on. Took it out once with 8 aboard, mixed adults and kids,  and it came onto plane fine.

With the 200 everything will be faster (time to plane, WOT speed), if that's your goal, but unless speed is important I'd say the 150 should work fine. I put on over 400 hours while I had the boat and was very happy with the  performance of the 150.

Hope this helps and that some R200 owners join in.

I have a 2019 202EX with the 150hp Yamaha. Same hull as the R200 I believe. I have no problems getting on plane and the boat really moves well. I’ve had 4 people, fishing gear and full tank of gas and it has plenty of power. Hope this helps...

I would say you need the 200hp because you can never have too much hp, but you certainly can have too little hp.

I've a '16 R-200 with a 150 Yamaha and am running a 17" pitch Reliance Prop.  Have had 6 adults on the boat several times and it does fine.  A little slower to plane that with 2, but that can be said of almost any engine.  I too contemplated going with the 200, but the cost definitely was not worth it to me.  Boat runs really well when loaded and will still crack over 42 mph by GPS with 6 on board if you like going faster.  As someone else said, Trim tabs are definitely a must!  It makes it very easy to keep the boat running properly in the water regardless of the load.

If you choose the standard Yamaha 150 for your R200, we've added a Mercury Revolution 4 stainless prop (14 5/8 X 17) and our R180 almost immediately hops onto plane without any trim tab usage, due to the stern lift provided by this 4-blade prop.

Good luck! 

I have a 2018 R207; my wife and I bought it this spring. Ours has the Yamaha 200 and man, she’s a blast! We’ve had 5 adults on board and it gets on plane no problem. Everyone in the family loves our boat! Good luck!

I have a 2017 R207 with a 150 Yamaha and have never felt or wished for more power.  The 150, I feel, is the best combination of power and fuel economy.  My missions are just cruising and fishing.  So if you pull water skiers, you may want or need a 200.

All the best on the water!

Here on the west coast, it’s always rough out so I’ve never once run my boat at WOT. The 150 is more than enough for my 2018 R200. 5 adults fishing with a full livewell and 5 batteries (3 for the trolling motor), the boat has no problem getting on plane.