MB19565

Switch Panel Electrical Issue- Where to Start?

2013 R200

Yesterday I noticed that the courtesy lights were very dimly on- Although the switch is off. I turned the switch on and they came on with normal brightness.  Turned the switch off- and they stayed on but Dim.  Also I noticed that my Raw Water pump was turning on and off without me flipping the switch.  similar to the courtesy lights, the raw water pump would run almost under low power (Steady Trickle in the live well).  When I tun the power on to the Raw water the pump comes on Full blast- turn it off and it will go back to intermittently being on under low power.   Both of these switches are on the Port side Panel on the console.   

Question- How to start Troubleshooting?  When it was just the courtesy lights- I thought it was possibly a worn out Switch- but with both the Raw water and Cout lights- it's clearly a more systemic issue. 

Any Ideas as to where to begin Troubleshooting this issue?  What could possibly cause these systems to be on under low power although the switches are off?

Thank you in Advance!!

Interesting problem. I'd start by removing the +12vdc wire one at a time from the switches to see if I could isolate that way. Then I'd work on metering it out to see if I could find out where the voltage is coming from. You might also ask this on http://robaloboatowners.net/forums/ Perhaps someone on that forum has already experienced the problem and can take you right to the cause.

Just to ensure you have it for the wiring diagrams in the latter pages, link to 2013 R180 & R200 Owners Manual (PDF Download).

My first impression is possibly a grounding issue, where the circuits are being back-fed through the ground side of the wiring.

I'll do some poking around inside my R180 to see if I can come up with something more.

Just for information's sake, are you still running the original bilge-mounted Shurflo Bait Sentry raw water pump for the livewell / washdown outlet?

Good luck!

12 hours ago, haz said:

Just to ensure you have it for the wiring diagrams in the latter pages, link to 2013 R180 & R200 Owners Manual (PDF Download).

My first impression is possibly a grounding issue, where the circuits are being back-fed through the ground side of the wiring.

I'll do some poking around inside my R180 to see if I can come up with something more.

Just for information's sake, are you still running the original bilge-mounted Shurflo Bait Sentry raw water pump for the livewell / washdown outlet?

Good luck!

haz-  I do have the Wiring Diagrams but didn't think to check the grounds (Electrical is not my strong suit).  I'll start there!.  I'll take any advice or ideas you might have.  I am pretty sure that do have the Shurflo (I think so anyway, I've never changed the pump)- i'll look that up and confirm on the boat. 

I'll also update this thread with anything i find until i find a solution so it is an opportunity for others who have the same or similar issue. 

I really appreciate your willingness to help-  you posed some spot on advice on another thread about the battery Switch issue that saved me hours of time and frustration. 

Just a wild guess, but with the problems several people (including myself) have had with the Battery Switch coming apart, it may be a good candidate for a potential grounding issue.

I think you might be right.  I replaced mine last year after it split in half.  

Right around the same time this all started happening I thought one of bartteries died.  Took it out put it on the charger and it was fine.  Reinstalled it this morning and it was “Dead”.   I wiggled the battery switch ever so slightly and sure enough it came right on.  

I will say no amount of wiggling seemed to impact the low powered courtesy lights.  Regardless, I think my next move is to swap out the battery switch again. Which I am dreading but thinking it might be easier second time around.  

Thanks for all all the posts and suggestions I appreciate it.  I’ll keep this updated, especially if I solve this mystery! 

I am planning to replace the Battery Switch again as I think it will solve one of my issues- the fact that in position 1 the battery isn't engaged unless i move the switch slightly off position. 

However- as I think more about it- could a faulty battery switch be causing the courtesy light to be on constantly (dim) and for the Raw water pump to come on under low voltage?  This behavior points to voltage leaking backward (as the switches are off)  Right?  could a faulty Battery switch cause that?

Notifying Blue Sea Systems (via Conductor@Bluesea.com or TechSupport@Bluesea.com) to send you another no-cost replacement m-Series 6007 switch would be a prudent move, given your described off-angle switch placement required for 'Battery 1' to operate. Other Forum members have had revised design switches on newer boats also fail. Additionally, putting a square throwable cushion on the deck in front of the jump seat makes removing the  battery switch plate somewhat easier on the knees.

I had similar concerns about the problem's root cause when you first mentioned needing to, once again, replace the battery switch.

Can you please confirm that the courtesy light you describe is the one inside the livewell, which energizes when the raw water pump is running, versus the Port & Starboard cockpit courtesy lights that are switched on the Port side of console, separate from the Raw Water pump switch?

Also, with the battery switch in the 'Off' position, only your R180's bilge pump via the float switch should be operative.

Is the livewell courtesy light and the raw water pump operating as-if on low voltage with the battery switch in the 'Off' position?

Or, is the port courtesy light and the raw water pump operating as-if on low voltage only when the battery switch in the Battery 1 or Battery 2 positions with the Raw Water console switch pointing to the Port side of the boat?

Depending upon your answers, checking the Raw Water console switch using a continuity tester and/or multi-meter with the battery switch in the 'Off' position would be helpful to assess the potential of the Raw Water console dash switch feeding a resisted voltage across failed contacts despite being in the 'Off' position.

Good luck!

Thanks for Responding haz.  the courtesy lights I'm talking about being on under low power are under the Port and Starboard gunnels.   Battery switch is on and Toggle switch on the port site panel is off.   The courtesy light in the live well comes on under low power only when the Raw water pump comes on under low power- Same scenario-  Battery Switch on, Toggle switch on the Port Side panel is off. 

If i turn either toggle switch on- those systems- Raw Water, Court lights come on normally. 

Planning to swap out the Switch tomorrow regardless but also hoping it solves all problems.  Hoping that the battery switch is the root of it all. 

Thanks so much for the interest in and time spent responding to my questions!