Boatdogz

Tackle drawers under my R200 leaning post

Investigating putting a drawer/cabinet unit under the leaning post in my R200.  Never use the cooler there and think I might get lucky with something stock (or custom?) from Boatoutfitters or someone like that.

Two questions:

Has anyone here done anything like that?

I’m three hours away from my boat—can someone help me out with the general undewr the post dimensions?  It’s going to be several weeks before I see her again.

Thanks!

BoatOutfitters has built custom underseat tackle units for at least two Cayman owners who are members of the Robalo Boat Owners Facebook group (viewing this page requires Facebook group registration).

Cost of the first unit pictured below, which is smaller than the second unit shown, was estimated by the owner at around $2,000, and the unit's weight was said to be 100 pounds. Both owners were satisfied with their custom tackle units.

If you are a Facebook user, the Robalo Boat Owners Facebook group has 2,973 members and is another beneficial Robalo-specific boating discussion site.

Good luck!

46924419625_a49484c3ba_o.jpg

40874009553_2c61ef46dc_o.jpg

47788627262_69b75164f0_o.jpg

40874009573_f0a342ffab_o.jpg

Perfect!  Pretty much what I’m looking for although I think I’d like to put a trash can on the one side. Do you think Boatoutfitters has the dimensions on hand?  I’m assuming the leaning post on the R200 is the same as the Cayman. 

Haz-as always you are an amazing resource about all things Robalo!

I expect BoatOutfitters would retain dimensional data on their past builds, probably cataloged by customer identity and perhaps by boat brand & model, which may allow you to receive a reliable price quote for a unit with your preferred features.

The first tackle unit was installed on a 246 Cayman with a flip-up bolster leaning post.  The second unit was described as being installed on a Cayman with a factory installed wider-than-standard leaning post. I have read in the past that deck mounting dimensions for flip-up bolster leaning posts differ from standard non-flip-up bolster leaning posts.

I would be reluctant to order a multi-thousand-dollar custom unit without physically verifying that my leaning post's dimensions match a manufacturer's past-used data.  The risk would be Robalo or their seat frame manufacturer instituted an engineering change within or between model years or across boat models that would cause the custom unit to not fit or not mount-up as built.

Maybe it's just me, but I would do a 6-hour round-trip drive to be certain of the measurements.

Measure twice, cut once, as carpenters say.

Good luck!

Looks very nice, but if I were to spend a few thousand dollars on this, I might just buy all the tools necessary and build it myself. It seems you just need to fit a bunch of rectangular starboard panels together, with a bit of routing. It would require time, but probably not a whole lot of skills. 

That would be a great DIY project. Starboard is easily worked with standard power tools and there are a couple of adhesives out there that work well with it. All of the hardware that Boat Outfitters uses is available as well.