strkrace86

T Top/Tabs on R180 Help

I have a 2016 R180 and have recently purchased an aftermarket t top.  I have called 4 different dealers to figure out if there is anything under the deck that I need to watch for when I bolt it down and I have yet to have a dealer know anything about my boat or return a call/email after they say they will contact their representative.  I know on the Robalo's website they used to have a parts guide that showed the hull of the boat before the cap was put on but they have since taken 2014-2018 off the site with a message to contact my dealer.  I have posted on the forum before about my concerns with Robalo's customer service (lack of would be more descriptive) and the only way I have been able to get any solutions is by using the forum so I figured I would give it a shot.

Has anyone mounted one themselves to a R180 and are there any tips/tricks that they could share?  Or even if anyone with the factory t top could send me some information on how Robalo mounts them?

Also, I have the 115hp on mine and I was thinking of adding trim tabs.  Any thoughts/opinions on the effect it would have?  The 115 does a good job overall but after adding my trolling motor and a few people in the boat I wouldn't mind a little bit of help staying on plane at an efficient cruise RPM.

Here is the most revealing image of R180 below-deck structures from Robalo's formerly downloadable Parts Guides...

47054668492_144114853d_o.jpg

In case you're not aware, the deck is 3/4 inch-thick, consisting of a polypropylene honeycomb core with 1/8 inch of resin and diamond pattern on top and about a 1/16 inch stranded resin coating on the bottom...

36113521716_b763daeffd_o.jpg

I don't have a t-top, so I cannot say how they are properly mounted to the deck at the factory.

Our R180 has factory-installed trim tabs and I'm glad we ordered them, if only for the improved ride and faster running through choppy water conditions. This past trim tab discussion, and others that I reference within it ( Discussion #1, Discussion #2, Discussion #3 ), include comments by many Forum members who have installed trim tabs after taking delivery of their Robalo boats. You will read about the need for a 20-inch-long drill bit to make the hole for the control wiring to pass through the transom, as well as suggestions on trim tab brands and sizing.

If you PM me your e-mail, I will happily provide you a set of the (PDF) R180 Parts Guides.

Good luck!

I have both Ttop and tabs from the factory. Can’t comment on the Ttop as she’s wrapped up but install the tabs. They make a world of difference. Two different salesmen tried to talk me out of them. I’m glad I didn’t listen. 

I'm going to watch this one. I had a Fishmaster on my first boat with less than stellar results. I had a custom T-top fabricated for my Seaark for $1800. Live and learn.

To the OP..You are going to have to through bolt the feet to the deck using large fender washers at the very least and preferably with 1/4" backing plates. Don't let anyone tell you to use large self tapping screws with 5200, it won't hold

How did they put the backing plates in Bob? Did they drill scuppers into your deck then reach in through them to install the backing plates?

Both of mine ere on aluminum boats, so it would not apply here.

But, for the record, I laid 3/8" aluminum bar stock along the console, drilled and screwed the bar stock to the stringers under the floor(four of them), and then drilled and tapped the bar stock so I could attach the feet with machine bolts. The Fishmaster top was a horror story. The bolts going through the clamps and screwing into the other side to hold the canopy on eventually stripped the threads from having to constantly tighten them and I ended up taking it to my welder guy to just eld the whole thing up solid.

When I sold the boat I lucked out and sold the top to a guy who had a boat with the exact console measurements that mine had. I took a beating on it but it was worth it to get rid of it.

Top install went pretty good.  I will add pictures when I get the boat back.  We moved to FL and took it out once caught a bunch of small jacks, came home and decided that the top needed to be installed before I went back out.  I had been waiting on a response from Robalo but that never happened.  So I winged it and got it all installed (note the floor on mine was solid fiberglass and not the honeycomb flooring).  Drove two hours to Stuart to do some fishing the next day and the trim motor went out on my Yamaha.  Took the boat into the dealer and my warranty had ended 5 weeks prior.  I was looking at a 1,000 fix until Yamaha stepped up and told me they would take care of the part and I the labor.  Anybody who has read my posts on here probably has noticed a streak of issues with the boat and trailer and the non existent customer service from Coyote and Robalo but I have to take my hat off to Yamaha.  They stood behind their product and promptly responded.  

Sorry for the rant and I should have the boat back after this weekend and I will add pictures.

I have been looking hard at the deck on my boat.  I found if you get down and look under the lip in the console, you can see you can get about a 3' to 4" wide piece of starboard up and under the deck.  If I get to adding an aftermarket top, I am going to slit the largest piece of starboard that will fit, then pin it up under the floor and put my screws through the floor and it.  That should be decent holding power.  I think Robalo does as such.  They use the same screws on the seat as the top.  Or so they look the same.  The seat has no reinforcing underneith if you look from the back seats.

Additionally I will probably have a local shop add decent standoff to the CC.  Not only that, but the high standoff will probably be designed to cross the interior of the CC from one side to the other for additional bracing between the 2 sides.

First I am dealing with all the used boat bull.  I moved the batteries and improved the electrical.  I changed a bunch of CB that had failed.  I am bleading the Seastar steering.  Hats off to Tyler with www.outboardst.com.  He makes some great video and tools to help in maintaining a Yamaha engine.  Also had to have the trailer rebuilt, and new tires.

I also received a motor with the lower unit bottom drain plug that was stripped.  Kind of pissed the local shop did not disclose this.  If Three Rivers Marina does a good job fixing it, its only a $149 issue.  I told them while there do the water pump too.  Then I bought 2 downriggers.  Thanks to John at Three Rivers Marina for really setting up the system.  He set me up with all the parts and tied up the riggings that needed as such, as well as showing me how to reterminate my downrigger cable with a loop on the end holding the swivel that is much longer lasting with the pressure of the weight on it. 

I need to get back on the water.,

By the way STRKrace, what top did you get????