jcollell

Hydraulic Steering on Robalo R160

I am new to boating and have a question about steering. On my R160, I am able to turn my steering wheel in either direction without it locking like if you were in a car and turning the wheel. Is this normal? Should you eventually hit a locking point? The motor does response when I I turn but when I hit the max turn, right or left, I am still able to turn it. It feels a little stiffer but I am still able to rotate. Thanks for your insights.

Thanks. Appreciate your response. I assume it is the same when the motor is running. I was expecting for the wheel to stop turning at some point but I kept cranking the wheel before realizing the motor was turned as far as it would go. 

I'm not sure what steering system you have, but on my Robalo and now on my Sailfish the steering stops when the engine is fully turned in either direction. When low on hydraulic fluid (when I added autopilots to each boat) the steering will continue to turn when the engine is fully turned. I would check to ensure that fluid is fully filled as a first step. If you end up having to add fluid do so very slowly and try to work out all the air.