Sign in to follow this  
LF15

Corrosion protection

I’ve had my new boat for a year now so I’m getting skittle more use to it. But I do have two questions for any of you experienced boaters please. First. For corrosion protection I was going to get Yamahshield. Can I simply spray that all over the engine head? Is it ok to spray onto electrical wires and the cowling rubber seals? Secondly, in regards to the outboard. I’ve heard different opinions but do I store it tilted up or down even? I have been trailering it and storing both in the up position. Thanks for any advice.

All you need is silicone spray, nothing Yamaha-branded.

You want to store it tilted down in the winter.  Ideally, tilt it down all the way, then back up so that it's just up a hair from the straight vertical position.  This stops oil from pooling on the cylinders and prevents a big cloud of smoke on startup.  

Awesome, thanks Rick. So the silicone spray is ok for the entire engine block areas? With the exception of the air intake of course. Do you have it fully tilted up with trailering or just enough to clear road hazards?

I followed Yamaha's instructions and sprayed everything but the air intakes.

I stated how it should be tilted in the 2nd sentence of my response...  There are no road hazards when it's parked in my garage for the winter.

Good deal on the silicon spray, thank you. I was referring (of course) to road hazards in regards to pulling it on the trailer. I’m in central Florida so we don’t winterize

You should not be trailering with the engine tilted up.  If you need to raise the engine so you don't hit the road, then they make different devices to hold the engine and bear the weight.  The weight should not be on the tilt mechanism.  I store mine down, just tilted up from vertical, so that the oil doesn't pool in the cylinders.  If you store it all the way down, and then let it sit for a while, you'll see a tiny cloud of smoke in the exhaust otherwise.  

There are various "transom saver" devices on the market.  Here's Yamaha's - https://amzn.to/2CWM3NW

Great, that helps a lot. I appreciate it Rick!

Get a gallon jug of CRC 6-56 and a good squirt bottle. I spray this stuff on everything under the engine cover, including the terminal blocks. Then I hit everything on the boat that I think might ever rust or corrode, and into every jack, plug, and moving part. Do this after washing every time. It seems messy at first,  but it magically absorbs after a few days, and things will stay looking new for years,  even in the saltwater.