Sign in to follow this  
Jimbos jumbos

R222 explorer front fish boxes getting wet

Should the fish boxes in the bow on the Robablo center consoles be dry?  I seem to remember the salesman using that as a selling point. Both of mine are getting water in them. 

I have a 2018 R222 explorer

The boat  is on a trailer. I cleaned it up a few weeks ago. Cleaned the inside of both boxes and wiped them dry. I even replaced the foam insulation seal on one box. I checked on my boat yesterday and there is water in both. 

I have the same with my 2017 R222ES. It doesn’t bother me too much as I use them to store lines and fenders. It would bother me if trying to use for dry storage. I bet it could be stopped by using a standard drain plug in each. 

I am not sure where the water is coming from. If you stick your head inside the box and look towards the bow, you can see the plywood from the deck.  Maybe it isn’t sealed?  If I knew where the water was coming in, I would seal it off 

I always assumed it was back up from the drain. Residual water in somewhat horizontal lines moving fore/aft with acceleration and deceleration. 

19 minutes ago, Otis said:

I always assumed it was back up from the drain. Residual water in somewhat horizontal lines moving fore/aft with acceleration and deceleration. 

I don’t think that is the case here.  The boat has been on a trailer the past month. The way the trailer sits, the bow is raised, so any water would run towards the stern 

I think water is coming in through the anchor storage area

All 3 locker lids were never silicone at latches and hinges correctly,  boat dealer fixed and adjusted under warranty, now only build up is humity sweat in drain well dip, acceptable, before repair everything would get wet and mold.

We have a fish box on our R160.  We rarely use it for fish, so we store things we want dry in it.  They were getting wet.  We figured that it was due water coming back up the drain, so we bought a rubber drain plug.  Still found some wetness.  We have finally determined that the water feed, unless turned off physically in the locker, must be spewing some water when we throttle down and water hits the stern of the boat, coming back up the line.  We didn't test this extensively, but since the boat is kept in a boathouse, and the wetness is more than condensation, that's the only thing that made sense.  Next season (Michigan), we'll validate this in use.

I found the source of water in the front fish boxes. In my case, rain water is getting in the anchor storage. I pulled the anchor and rope out, to find the construction inside the storage compartment incomplete. There was no fiberglass in one corner, leaving a small gap. The water drains right down through the gap, into the boat. Then drips on to the plywood that supports the casting platform. Then it drips of the plywood into the fish box. The plywood in saturated. 

I am sure the plywood is pressure treated, but it has been getting wet for a year.  I am now wondering if the plywood will rot 

I will try to reach out to the dealer tomorrow