Fichtner

cayman 246 rod storage tubes

I bought a new 2018 cayman 246.  I went to put my rods in the storage tubes and they only go in about 24" before hitting a fiberglass wall.  I can get two rods in if I am very careful because there is a tiny hole cut out to accommodate two of them but my rod eyelets hit the sides of that wall every time.  It's not even worth destroying my rods attempting to store them in the compartment at all.  I'm actually embarrassed at this design.  Maybe they just forgot to install real tubes in my boat.  Does anyone else have this issue or am I the only one on the planet with a fishing boat that cannot store fishing rods in the lockable fishing storage compartment?  I wish I had actually inspected this better before buying it but I never would have thought in a million years I'd only be able to lock ice fishing rods in my boat.  Waiting for a response from my dealer hopefully with a solution so I don't have to fix this myself.

That’s a bummer. I have an R222ES and rod storage is my biggest disappointment in a short list. I don’t mind leaving 8.5’ walleye rods in rocket launchers while fishing. Just wish I had a secure place to store them on the boat when not fishing. I do have gunnel storage for 4 rods but max length is 7’ 

You may wish to join The Hull Truth Boating Forum and review their Robalo Cayman Thread, where Cayman topics are discussed by a large and vigorous community of Robalo Cayman owners.

The restricted depth of rod storage tubes is a known-issue mentioned by Cayman owners.

This post describes a modification to improve the capacity and usefulness of the rod storage locker, which is on the members-only Cayman Boat Owners Club discussion site that you may also wish to join.

Good luck!