Blue Crab

Yamaha Fuel Water Separating Filter

Does Robalo include a Yamaha 10-micron Marine Fuel Water Separating Filter on their boats?

https://yamahaoutboards.com/en-us/utility/blog/february-2017/gasoline-basics

I've always had a water separating fuel filter on my boats in the past, just need to know if I need to install one on my soon-to-be-delivered R207.

On R200 (same hull as R207) there's a fuel water separator (#1 in the picture). The installation location may be different depending on the model and year.

598816937_FuelWaterSep.png.76d8ba7defe30d4524f54134851afa9f.png

Via the Internet Archive Wayback Machine, the 2015 R207 Parts Guide (PDF download), includes a photo on page 17 which shows the location of the external fuel filter.

On the R160, the Yamaha F70 has an integral water separator reservoir with sensor (PDF download) that is apparently considered adequate for the 12-gallon fuel tank. 

Good luck!

38 minutes ago, haz said:

Via the Internet Archive Wayback Machine, the 2015 R207 Parts Guide (PDF download), includes a photo on page 17 which shows the location of the external fuel filter.

On the R160, the Yamaha F70 has an integral water separator reservoir with sensor (PDF download) that is apparently considered adequate for the 12-gallon fuel tank. 

Good luck!

I have the 18 gallon tank, and yes there is one in the F70.  Just a small gas filter.

My R207 did not come with a fuel water separator filter. When I purchased the boat last year, the dealer told me it came standard from the factory. I didn't spot it before, but thought it must be well hidden in the bilge like it was on my proline. Well, cleaned out the bilge today and looked to see what filter I needed for a replacement. Followed the fuel line and there just isn't one. Turns out that the filters do not come with the merc 150s. It has a fuel filter under the cowling, but no fuel water separator filter. I'll be installing a kit this week. It's an easy job, but a little frustrating that my dealer told me there was one. No way I'm going out again without one.

I took delivery of my R207 in February and, yes, it did come with the separator.

AO: You selected Mercury when you ordered your R207, so you will likely want to select Mercury's external water separator for brand consistency and to avoid any potential Mercury warranty complication.

Good luck!

Strange that Mercury doesn't include a filter. Having lost an inboard to ethanol on my previous boat I'm now religious about using an ethanol treatment to reduce water issues and depend on my water separator to ensure I don't lose another engine. Shoot, I'd probably buy an octane gauge if I lost another engine to ethanol/water problems.

I do change the filter regularly and no, it's not cheap, but it provides some piece of mind knowing it's there doing it's job. The closest non-ethanol gasoline marina is about 40 miles away by boat. If it was closer, I'd probably use it, but the 80 mile round trip is too far. 

3 hours ago, haz said:

AO: You selected Mercury when you ordered your R207, so you will likely want to select Mercury's external water separator for brand consistency and to avoid any potential Mercury warranty complication.

Good luck!

Thanks haz. Just ordered one. Guess I'll keep the other as a spare. 

3 hours ago, FullThrottle said:

Strange that Mercury doesn't include a filter. Having lost an inboard to ethanol on my previous boat I'm now religious about using an ethanol treatment to reduce water issues and depend on my water separator to ensure I don't lose another engine. Shoot, I'd probably buy an octane gauge if I lost another engine to ethanol/water problems.

I do change the filter regularly and no, it's not cheap, but it provides some piece of mind knowing it's there doing it's job. The closest non-ethanol gasoline marina is about 40 miles away by boat. If it was closer, I'd probably use it, but the 80 mile round trip is too far. 

Same here, always change filters and add a fuel additive regularly. I'm lucky enough to have a non-ethanol gas station near where I store the boat. So it's probably not as big a deal in my situation. Even without ethanol, there's always that slim chance water will work it's way into the tank whether being from condensation, a faulty seal, bad gas, etc. I've installed one before on a 3.0 mercruiser I had a while back. Like you said, it's nice having that extra piece of mind. 

Sorry AO, didn't mean to double your investment.

Good luck!

2 hours ago, haz said:

Sorry AO, didn't mean to double your investment.

Good luck!

Ha, not at all haz! You're right, still have 4 years left on the warranty so I need to remain cognizant. Always appreciate the input. ;)

Installed the fuel water separator kit recently. The hardest part was access. If anyone is thinking of installing one in a R207/200, the holes needed are already pre-drilled with t-nuts installed from the factory. So that made it much easier. I only had to drill one hole for a hose clamp. Haz, I had to return that merc filter. I would've had to figure out a way to install the bracket a few inches higher to make it fit. Thanks anyway though. I've used these sierra filters on previous boats without issue. Sure am happy that it's on now. If I knew that the boat was going to come without one, I would have negotiated the dealer installing one. Fun project though.

List of items used:

Sierra International 18-7777 Stainless Steel Fuel Water Separator Bracket

Sierra International 18-7945 10 Micron Fuel Water Separating Filter

2 - Brass Hose Fitting, Adapter, 3/8" Barb x 1/4" NPT Male Pipe

4 - Stainless Hose Clamps, 5/16" - 7/8" 

2 - 1/4"-20 x 1 1/2" stainless screws w/nuts (buy extras just in case one drops in the bilge)

Permatex 56521 High Performance Thread Sealant (Do not use white teflon tape on fuel fittings)

One inch stainless hose clamp/holder (optional for cleaner look)

20190519_183738_zpslaxwspdb.jpg