ba_fisher

Stress crack on console floor

My R222 gets water in the console floor and it’s a new boat.  Only been used one time.  I noticed there is more plywood in the boat than I anticipated.  I wonder if there is plywood under the console floor and  could it has gotten water saturated and swollen, causing the fiberglass to crack.  I just don’t see any other reason for r the cracks    Call Robalo and ask to speak with a customer service by the name last name of Carter.  He has been then forever 

I drilled holes into the floor to install trolling motor batteries. It was indeed wood and a few of the holes are wet inside. The floor still feels solid, though.

any other folks with the same issue? What are my options? Do I need to rip the floor out and replace it?

Sad. The issue was most likely failure to caulk. Robalo is extremely weak in their caulking when they install screws. I removed every screw I could get to and caulked it properly after my screws fell out of my fish box hatch.. Had to replace the hatch due to lack of proper caulking.

Since mine was a warranty issue I had Robalo/dealer replace the hatch. If yours is out of warranty it's your call. If I had a similar situation I'd replace it. It's going to fail, just a matter of time. You could try a wood hardener to slow down the rot, but whenever I've used hardener eventually I have to replace the problem.

Beyond that, the only thing I can tell you is I've found un-caulked areas on my Sailfish and before that on my Albemarle. Proper caulking seems to elude current manufacturers and I can only suggest to all boat owners that they ensure the screws and openings are properly caulked.

My boat is brand new. I found lots of issues with the Robalo quality control.  Definitely missing caulk on screws is one of them.  Also, the cut-outs for the locks at the hatches is not sealed with resin or epoxy and there is bare plywood exposed. I been taking fittings off and sealing with silicone caulk.  

Shameful the lack of attention by Robalo.  Shameful their lack of response to the posts on this forum. 

My boat is a 2018, delivered Nov 2017, so it's not even 1 year old. Needless to say, I am pretty bummed.

Anyway, I knew all along that the console would get wet, so I should have done what FullThrottle suggested and checked/sealed all the screws on the floor.

I can take it back to the dealer for warranty, but they are 200 miles away and my fishing season is far from finish. I'll probably just get my local tech to look at the floor during my winter maintenance and pay him out of pocket to replace the floor if necessary. I am too lazy to take the long drive.

Today I took a short fishing trip with 200lbs of batteries on the floor and it looked OK. So probably nothing will happen immediately.

===== A note on the water inside the console

I found that water just accumulates inside the bilge, mostly due to boat washing. The automatic bilge pump cannot get rid of all the water. When the boat sits in the water, and you rock the boat, some of the bilge water will run over the console floor. (Yeah bad design -- Robalo made the floor as low as possible to increase head room in the console to accommodate the porta-potti).

So my solution now is:

1. Don't be over-zealous when washing the boat. Push some towels around the console "lip" to prevent water from rushing into the console. Also, avoid spraying water over the jumper seats, or the rear set of rod holders, which all drain into the bilge).

2. Use a hand pump to remove the water from the bilge after each trip. https://www.amazon.com/King-Innovation-48072-Siphon-Hand/dp/B00G6QBPJ2. That would still leave a little bit of water, which can be mobbed up by a few hand towels.

You should at least place Robalo and the dealer on notice of the problem with the floor.  Send them a certified return receipt letter.  

Wow sorry to see this situation, I had water in the console and the 5 gal bucket compartment as well in my brand new R222.  First thing I did was put some weatherstrip around the bucket compartment lip, same as is on the fish lockers in the bow. I saw this improvement on this forum and it eliminates most of the water leakage significantly. Why Robalo doesn't do this is a mystery to me. Also put friction hinges on all the hatch doors and the console door. The other thing I do is put my boat on an angle to drain water towards bilge before I wash it, by placing a large brick under the jack wheel and extending wheel all the way down to lift bow.

I also got a  small 4 gal 5hp Ridgid wet vac to suck out the remaining residue of water in the bilge and all compartments.