R222 & 250 VMax SHO

Took my new 2019 R222 Center Console for the sea trial.  The boat with a VMax 250 SHO, half tank of REC 90 fuel, and two men onboard, is doing 52 MPH.  It goes on plane in about two boat lengths.  It goes from 0 to 30 in four seconds.  Very impressive.   Taking it out for half day of fun in the morning with four people onboard   

I purchased the boat from Bob Hewes Boats in Miami, FL and it was a pleasant experience. Angelo Coca was the salesperson. He was very helpful and super experienced with boats. 

The dealer mechanic was the one piloting at 52 MPH.  Basically, when I went on the sea trial, the dealer had already ran the boat for an hour during their original sea trial.  The dealer mechanic told me not to baby the SHO, just run it normal and vary the speeds.  

Today, I ran the boat for approximately 2-1/2 hours.  Most of the time, I ran in the 3,000 rpm range.  It ran great.  

I have owned five new boats and alway went easy on the throttle for the first hour. Then I ran them normally with only brief periods of full throttle lasting approximately 30 seconds.  I do this for the next two or three hours.  Even after the break in, I never run full power for a prolonged period of time.  I may run it full power for a minute at most, just for the fun of it.   When I am accelerating from a dead stop, I never use full power, as it puts too much strain on engine and lower unit. 

I have never had a problem with any new engine 

Yamaha has specific break in instructions. Most test drives violate them.

1. First hour – run the motor at varying speeds up to 2000 rpm (approximately half throttle if there is no tachometer).
2. Second hour – accelerate hard enough to put the boat on plane (do not use full throttle) then back off of the throttle but keep the boat on plane.
3. Next 8 hours – run the motor at all speeds but avoid continuous running at Wide Open Throttle (WOT) for more than 5 minutes at a time.
4. After completing the 10 hours of break-in, commence normal operation.

• 2 years later...