h2o.nhk

R160, trailering with bimini folded down

I thought I would post this for any R160 owners out there.  I needed an easy/safe way to trailer the boat with the bimini stowed.  When folded down its not centered on the gunwales and would beat the  heck out of the deck and gel coat up if left unsecure.  Here is a quick and easy solution utilizing $15 worth of 1" SCH 80 PVC and the back rod holders.  They keep the bimini suspended off the gunwales, install in seconds, and are easy to store.   Throw on a ball tie if you want extra security. 

Happy boating.

Robalo 1.JPG

Robalo 2.JPG

Intriguing member name and a thoughtful design.

Looking forward to your next great idea.

Good luck!

Thanks.  We chose the R160 for many great reasons.  The bimini storage, swim step, and lack of leaning post ability with the helm seat were not part of those.  I have a few ideas i'm working on for an adjustable helm w/leaning post, but the swim step is a tough one.  Per Robalo, the transom has perma-panels glassed in below the style line for strength where the step is lagged in, but nothing above this area.  Reached out to several OEMs like Garelick and Windline  and none of them offer a telescoping platform mount ladder that's narrower than 10.5" center to center.  To be structurally sound on the swim step it really needs to be ~9" wide center to center.  I'll figure something out.

If the transom step is robust enough too carry the load, Italian marine supplier Osculati offers a metric telescoping diver-style ladder that may be suitable...

EN_49.552.03_New2014.jpg EN_49.552.xx%20B.jpg

EN_49.552.03_dis.jpg

Mounting bracket dimensions (PDF download)

Ladder is sold with white step treads or black step treads by a Northampton U.K. eBay seller from whom I successfully purchased an Osculati grab bar for our R180.  For me, online purchase-to-delivery took eight days.

Good luck!

Haz,  been looking at those recently as well.  Your comment about carrying the load is spot on.  The step on the transom has a very small amount of "flex" to it.  My fear is it will be amplified with the additional overhang and scope when the ladder is deployed.  Would be fine for the kids and most likely my wife and I, but a heavier set person could be a problem.   No access to the step from inside the hull makes finding a solution a little more challenging.

Just looked through the 2019 options on "build your R160" and they list an option of "Starboard Dive Swim Platform with Boarding Ladder" for $600 and change.  Couldn't find any pics.....wonder what it looks like.

Well here is my first attempt at an adjustable backrest for the helm seat.  I'm not a machinist, but i'm pretty good with a metabo.  The U shape brackets were fabricated out of 11 gauge SS and I used 3/16" SS plate for the position stop plate.  These 2 parts were welded together. The brackets clamp on to the starboard and port sides of the seat cooler and are 100% removable.  They are secured with 10-24 oval head machine screws and lock nut.  I used some blue tubing as a bushing for the machine screws so they didn't dig into the cooler seat and also added a snug fit preventing the brackets from sliding.  I also added some teflon tape to the underside of the brackets to further protect the seat handles.   For the locking pin I drilled and tapped a whole in the 3" aluminum seat supports and installed a 3/8" SS shoulder bolt.  Also had to mill out the fulcrum point ~ 1" where the back rest pivots to allow for enough vertical movement so the backrest can be lifted and adjusted to the next position on the stop plate.  Since it was aluminum a 3/8" bit and file made quick work of it.  An additional SS fender washer also helped the backrest slide up and down freely.  Again, I'm not a machinist.  Weather is turning to crap and hoping to her out a few times to test before winter.  Wife and I were both leaning pretty hard on it in the garage and it stayed solid.   If it doesn't work out I can easily put it back to OEM with $15 worth of 3" aluminum flat stock and a couple hours of work.  I'll post a few more pics.  Happy boating...

Capture2.JPG

Excellent design with rollback capability and craftsmanship on par with any metalworking tradesman!

You've demonstrated that backrest adjustability is a useful option that Robalo could add to the R160.

Regarding the 2019 R160 swim platform option, due to the identical cost, it's likely comparable to the optional Cayman unit...

45466420762_0c74c88d0d_o.jpg

44493522755_d058f853b7_o.jpg

Good luck!