Dabbles

Evinrude Etec G2 250 H.O. Review

I finally got my R222 with every option except  the ski tow, my previous boat was a 12' Rib with a 40 h.p. Etec so I was familiar with them. I also know that service/parts are not on every corner like Yamaha. But the  more I learned about the G2 I knew that was the motor I wanted and am I glad I insisted. It comes with adjustable power steering, automatic trim, digital throttle, a 4.5 digital touchscreen gauge loaded with features, clean rigging and much more.  I also got the NMEA 2000  package for Evinrude which was about $149 compared to Yamahas $400 price tag for their network.  I lucked up and  got the 10 yr Evinrude warranty promo to boot when I ordered mine

This motor is a blast on my boat, when you hit the throttle this thing gets your attention and quick, it literally screams in sound and performance. I got the 4 blade RX prop and the hole shot is almost scary, Once I bumped the throttle which is very light and lets just say I'm glad it was a light bump. Now I see the value in putting the throttle on the starboard side so passengers cant  bump into it. Have only been out a few times and have not  had conditions to W.O.T. but when I do jump on it the boat just continues to accelerate, it has such a wide torquey power band. The dealer claims to have had it up to 54 m.p.h. as there is no break in period on this motor, but anything close to that would be great. 

The boat handles beautifully and with this motor it dances on the water, the other thing is the controls are effortless and will not tire you at all. The steering tracks straight and with the steering knob and power steering you want to just start carving s patterns.  The H.O. puts out about 10 % more horsepower and only cost about $700 more than the standard G2 so that was a no brainer for me. When you start it you have to listen to know when it cranks over so quiet.

The Etec motor option is not listed on the website but it actually is an option that your dealer can select, as for the H.O. version your dealer will need to hang it for you, unfortunately the factory won't. Don't ask me why, they will say the rigging is different but it's not, essentially my understanding is the software is the only real  difference. Maybe it's a liability thing, but certainly it's an area for improvement.  

I'm not knocking Yamaha I ride one, I'm just saying these G2 motors are "killin it" . The features, performance and economy are remarkable I love mine. 

r222 jim pic.jpg

robalo r222.jpg

r22 interior.jpg

dabbles

I have a r227 with g2 250. Love the motor. Can you tell me what mounting hole you are at and if you know how high the ventilation plate is above the keel

your much better of not having robalo hang the motor they screwed up mine. engine came mounted on the 3rd hole down which made the boat actually dangerous to drive. I had it lowered to the second hole which did improve the ventilating but I'm still getting some resonating vibrations. thinking about going down with the motor one more hole

thanks

tim

1 hour ago, tim m said:

dabbles

I have a r227 with g2 250. Love the motor. Can you tell me what mounting hole you are at and if you know how high the ventilation plate is above the keel

your much better of not having robalo hang the motor they screwed up mine. engine came mounted on the 3rd hole down which made the boat actually dangerous to drive. I had it lowered to the second hole which did improve the ventilating but I'm still getting some resonating vibrations. thinking about going down with the motor one more hole

thanks

tim

Great question, mine is in the second hole from the top, the guy who mounted is suppose to be very good. My dealer in Racine Wisconsin is an Evinrude dealer as well as Robalo and their 20 minutes away from the Evinrude factory in Wisconsin so they have hands on tech advice from factory.  Mine looks about 7" from keel, I read an article that manufacturers tend to bury the motors as it  reduces performance and liability, not sure how true that is. So was yours mounted in the top hole initially and then you lowered it to the second hole from the top?  Also guess it matters how far down from the top lip your bracket was placed.

Good luck with that, sounds frustrating but worth getting fine tuned  

etec motor mount.jpg

Mine originally came 3rd from top which gave a lot of vibration and ventilating. It’s now in the second hole down same as yours which puts the ventilation plate over 2” above the keel. I seen an evinrude test report on your boat except it had a g2 200 and they had the engine on the first hole from the top.

which rx4 are you using? I had to change from a rebel 18p 3 blade to a rx4 16p which helped quie a bit with the vibration.

thanks

tim

I have the Evinrude RX4 its optimized for traction, rough water and bow lift, they also have a Cyclone which has 4 blades and says it's good for offshore and stays on plane with low rpm  and minimum vibration, might be good for your vibration issue.

My next step is to add a Garmin 18" or 24" Fantom dome radar, I heard in practice there is no difference in performance between the 2 units so will probably go with the 18"

Am also looking to upgrade the stereo, I saw a R200 on you tube with a pretty cool looking stereo. My idea is to go with a sound bar instead of the tower speakers the link is  

As far as sound goes, all I did was add a 600watt JBL 4 CHANNEL AMPLIFIER model MA6004. Got more than enough sound than I bargained for out of the four stock speakers. 

The G1 was awesome motor the first couple of years!  Wait till the eyelashes fall off the French Canadian junk! Your 10 year warranty will be awesome while you are sitting on the dock waiting until parts are available.  People waited over a year for parts on the sexy G1 and the knowledgeable people won't buy one on the used market.  this is why you normally don't see them on the higher end boats.

13 hours ago, Salty77 said:
11 hours ago, Smoke said:

The G1 was awesome motor the first couple of years!  Wait till the eyelashes fall off the French Canadian junk! Your 10 year warranty will be awesome while you are sitting on the dock waiting until parts are available.  People waited over a year for parts on the sexy G1 and the knowledgeable people won't buy one on the used market.  this is why you normally don't see them on the higher end boats.

As far as sound goes, all I did was add a 600watt JBL 4 CHANNEL AMPLIFIER model MA6004. Got more than enough sound than I bargained for out of the four stock speakers. 

11 hours ago, Smoke said:

Point well taken Smoke,  and not to blow smoke but just calling it as I see it. My experience with Evinrude Etecs has been bullet proof. In fact the experience I have had with their customer service has been good but limited, as the Etec maintenance is suppose to be that way. Frankly I wish I could say the same for Robalo customer service.

If that changes you can bet I would feel obligated to sound the alarms as well as share the good news when its due.  Sharing information is what I like most about this site and thanks for commenting.

I also love my Robalo especially her handling. 

11 hours ago, OGR said:

Is your R222 a year 2019 ??

if yes, are there any changes to the hull from a 2018 to 2019 ?

Hey OGR although I tried, I  missed the 2019 model by about 2 weeks or so. Had i known my build would take so long would have definitely been more strategic about timing.  

I think Robalo has an early email notification of the 2019 features on their website if you sign up. 

13 hours ago, Salty77 said:

Ok thanks Salty, I always wondered what just adding an amplifier would do. 

I haven’t seen the notification.  I ordered a 2019 and the boat is just waiting for a Yamaha motor to become available.  There is a big delay due to shortage of Yamaha’s 

if by chance you have the link to the web page noting the changes, please send it to me 

17 minutes ago, OGR said:

I haven’t seen the notification.  I ordered a 2019 and the boat is just waiting for a Yamaha motor to become available.  There is a big delay due to shortage of Yamaha’s 

if by chance you have the link to the web page noting the changes, please send it to me 

There is no information available yet, but if you go to Robalo.com you will see a tab that says sign up for the future. I assume they will release information first tot those who sign up for it. I don't even think they share much info with the dealers beforehand. 

I signed up.  The dealers have a very difficult time communicating with Robalo.  The dealer contacted Robalo several times to obtain a status on my boat build that was already past their projected delivery date.  Robalo took over a week to provide a status and only to state they are waiting for Yamaha engines 

I went Evinrude G2 as well on my R222 last year and love it, there are a few other owners at my marina with yammies and they can't keep up. My friiend is an Evinrude gold service center and he talked me into it. If you don't have a service center close that may factor into the choice. I got the 10 year warranty as well with the promo at the time.  I have 135 hours on it as of yesterday with no issues other than a prop change after a few weeks to get the RPMs where they should be. They gave me a Rebel at first from the factory and changed out to the RX4 which in a tad slower but better gph and hole shot is incredible.

Watch this video where they tested head to head yammie couldn't plane the boat G2 got it up to 30mph , it was a much heavier boat then the R222 but you get the idea. They bent over backwards to give the yammie a chance but to no avail

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwVlAClS9Bg

Biggest plus has been the trolling speed fuel usage which is half the yammie , full throttle they are close but I still have an edge. 

On 8/10/2018 at 11:05 AM, Dabbles said:

I finally got my R222 with every option except  the ski tow, my previous boat was a 12' Rib with a 40 h.p. Etec so I was familiar with them. I also know that service/parts are not on every corner like Yamaha. But the  more I learned about the G2 I knew that was the motor I wanted and am I glad I insisted. It comes with adjustable power steering, automatic trim, digital throttle, a 4.5 digital touchscreen gauge loaded with features, clean rigging and much more.  I also got the NMEA 2000  package for Evinrude which was about $149 compared to Yamahas $400 price tag for their network.  I lucked up and  got the 10 yr Evinrude warranty promo to boot when I ordered mine

This motor is a blast on my boat, when you hit the throttle this thing gets your attention and quick, it literally screams in sound and performance. I got the 4 blade RX prop and the hole shot is almost scary, Once I bumped the throttle which is very light and lets just say I'm glad it was a light bump. Now I see the value in putting the throttle on the starboard side so passengers cant  bump into it. Have only been out a few times and have not  had conditions to W.O.T. but when I do jump on it the boat just continues to accelerate, it has such a wide torquey power band. The dealer claims to have had it up to 54 m.p.h. as there is no break in period on this motor, but anything close to that would be great. 

The boat handles beautifully and with this motor it dances on the water, the other thing is the controls are effortless and will not tire you at all. The steering tracks straight and with the steering knob and power steering you want to just start carving s patterns.  The H.O. puts out about 10 % more horsepower and only cost about $700 more than the standard G2 so that was a no brainer for me. When you start it you have to listen to know when it cranks over so quiet.

The Etec motor option is not listed on the website but it actually is an option that your dealer can select, as for the H.O. version your dealer will need to hang it for you, unfortunately the factory won't. Don't ask me why, they will say the rigging is different but it's not, essentially my understanding is the software is the only real  difference. Maybe it's a liability thing, but certainly it's an area for improvement.  

I'm not knocking Yamaha I ride one, I'm just saying these G2 motors are "killin it" . The features, performance and economy are remarkable I love mine. 

r222 jim pic.jpg

robalo r222.jpg

r22 interior.jpg

I really like this boat-engine combination. Congratulations.
Can you please post some performance numbers and fuel consumption?

On 8/10/2018 at 11:59 AM, tim m said:

dabbles

thanks

tim

Can you please share some performance numbers? I am searching but I cannot find any performance - consumption data for a R222 with G2 250.

Thank you