LF15

Carbon Monoxide poisoning

Hey guys, I have been reading about carbon monoxide poisoning and have a concern since I’m new to boating. I have a 20 foot center console with a single outboard. My son likes to ride and even lay down on the stern seat a lot. Is he in danger doing that? Or is he safe with an outboard? Any advice is appreciated.

I'd think its fine unless you are really going slow and the wind is only slightly blowing from aft. Even then I doubt it would be a problem, but maybe an expert will chime in. I did have monoxide sensors in my cabin on the last boat, but that's because the cabin is enclosed and if my mid-ship inboards leaked carbon monoxide it could gather in the cabin. IMO, with an outboard it is unlikely that enough carbon monoxide could gather in an open boat to be a problem.

If you are still concerned, get a battery operated carbon monoxide sensor and place it near where he lays down. They are loud enough to wake him (and you) up if CO gets to a high level.

That’s a good idea, I appreciate that fullthrottle. Never thought much about it before. I knew it could happen on cabin boats but wasn’t sure about center consoles