Wyndy

VHF antenna on R207

I just had an eight foot antenna installed. Were you curious about placement?

Been a long week. Finally got the boat today to take a few pics. I had an ICOM ic-m400bb w/command mic, a shakespeare 5226-XT 8' antenna, and a shakespeare 4357S band separator installed recently. These pics were taken inside the starboard storage locker behind the steering wheel. Hope these make sense to you. It was kind of a tight fit in there. lol. At the top of the first pic is the band separator and the right is the icom black box. In the second pic, you can see where the antenna is mounted at the top left. I really like this set up because of the limited space and there's no unit to hit my knees. I can hear the radio just fine while underway. The mic is easy to remove and stow away when not in use. Hope this helps.

20180606_145117_resized.jpg

20180606_144938_resized_1.jpg

20180606_150115_resized.jpg

I like it. You've got vertical bus bars and mine are horizontal. I lose a lot of space due to the horizontal bars. The R207 electronic area is small and you've made good use of what is available.

Thanks FT. Your're right, not a lot of real estate for electronics. One downside with many DC's. After owning the r207 for a couple of months though, I'll probably be staying with DC's for good.  

Me too on the DCs. All boats are a comprise, but the DCs seem to offer a good comprise between family and fishing. My kids and grandkids won't forget all the times we went and played at the beach or on a towable, nor will they forget landing fish of all types and sizes. Grandkids really disliked my 28 foot Albemarle, but it was a great offshore fishing boat. My next boat will be a bigger DC.

I hear you on the family not liking the fishing boat. My wife and son used to bicker over the same beanbag chair. That got old quick. They love the new DC. Good luck with next vessel cap!

Did you connect the Icom radio to a GPS like the Garmin 742? If so, does it include the NMEA cable?

Yeah, I had the Icom radio connected to the Garmin. The cable was included if I remember right. The guy who installed it for me didn't use the cable I bought and said one was included already. It's a great set up. They work perfect together. You wont be disappointed.

6 hours ago, AO said:

Yeah, I had the Icom radio connected to the Garmin. The cable was included if I remember right. The guy who installed it for me didn't use the cable I bought and said one was included already. It's a great set up. They work perfect together. You wont be disappointed.

Excellent, thanks for your help. I just ordered the same radio (Icom M400BB), a Shakespeare 5225XT Galaxy VHF Antenna, and frequency splitter. I checked and the radio supports the older NMEA 0183 standard which is fine because the Garmin 742xs supports that protocol as well as the newer NMEA 2000.

On ‎2‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 7:49 PM, Blue Crab said:

Excellent, thanks for your help. I just ordered the same radio (Icom M400BB), a Shakespeare 5225XT Galaxy VHF Antenna, and frequency splitter. I checked and the radio supports the older NMEA 0183 standard which is fine because the Garmin 742xs supports that protocol as well as the newer NMEA 2000.

BC, last year I purchased this neoprene camera lens pouch on ebay to protect the mic when stored away. Fits the mic and cord perfectly. Something to consider. 

Neoprene Lens Pouch Bag Extra Large