Boatdogz

R200 radio install/adding glove box?

I have the radio, antenna and antenna mount for the boat. I'm struggling with where to mount it:

• After market e-box for the t-top-- not preferred. Don't like the idea of losing headroom;
  • Drilling into the console dash near the Garmin-also not crazy about that as its kind of a weird fit.
  • Have also considered mounting inside the head cubby and using a mic with a speaker.  Seems limiting.

So, here are my questions/thoughts:

• is there some kind of t-top slide mount where I could pull the radio when storing boat and slide it in and connect it when leaving dock?  Kind of like the old cassette deck car months only overhead.  Not a full e-box.  Just big enough for the radio and wiring.
  • What about installing another glove box on the port side of the console above the factory box that would be the permanent mount?  Will this work?  Is there enough room/depth?  What problems do you foresee?

My boat is 90 miles away and I can't get there for a couple weeks.thoughts?

I installed a piece of black starboard to the T-top Box mounting tabs and mounted the radio there.  It works great and didn't loose any headroom

Not sure about after market e-boxes, but I have the factory e-box on my R200 and I am not bothered by it at all. I am 6'1". The e-box is way ahead so I think you will hit it only if you play in the NBA and happen to lean forward while driving standing up.

large.6513974_20171030122513415_1_XLARGE.jpg.423abbf7e1da22181ff796a17209a01d.jpg

16 hours ago, ba_fisher said:

Not sure about after market e-boxes, but I have the factory e-box on my R200 and I am not bothered by it at all. I am 6'1". The e-box is way ahead so I think you will hit it only if you play in the NBA and happen to lean forward while driving standing up.

large.6513974_20171030122513415_1_XLARGE.jpg.423abbf7e1da22181ff796a17209a01d.jpg

THAnks for the input. I tried in vein to order an OEM e-box last year. The Robalo plant actually sent me to the manufacturer in Florida. I wound up talking with a nice guy who, I believe, was a design engineer.  I eliminated it as a possibility because they couldn’t put a foot on it. Weird. 

Would you mind sending me the dimensions of the box you have on your boat?  Maybe I need to dig back into this a little. 

Thanks!

18 hours ago, aandrews109 said:

I installed a piece of black starboard to the T-top Box mounting tabs and mounted the radio there.  It works great and didn't loose any headroom

That seems like a logical solution. Do you leave the radio mounted there all the time?

On 5/12/2018 at 2:24 PM, Boatdogz said:

That seems like a logical solution. Do you leave the radio mounted there all the time?

I do.  I used stainless torx style screws instead of the thumb screws to attach the radio to the mounting bracket so it's not easy to remove.  Also, it's trailered and covered at my home so there's not much opportunity for anyone to have a chance to remove it.

Hmmm...I’m at a nice public marina. I suppose I could follow this path and remove the radio from the bracket when I leave the boat.  Something to think about. Thanks. 

On 5/13/2018 at 7:25 PM, aandrews109 said:

I do.  I used stainless torx style screws instead of the thumb screws to attach the radio to the mounting bracket so it's not easy to remove.  Also, it's trailered and covered at my home so there's not much opportunity for anyone to have a chance to remove it.

Resurrecting.  A year later and I still haven’t installed my radio.  

AANDREWS109...if you are still around could you possibly post a few pictures of your radio install on Starboard on your R200?  Interested in placement overhead as well as hook up in the back.  Much appreciated!

Boatdogz,

I'm still here, just not too often.  Live in the Florida Panhandle where Hurricane Michael came through.  Haven't used the boat since last September.

Planning to pull the cover off this week and get her cleaned up.  I'll try to take some pictures and post them later this week.

Aandrews...thanks.  I appreciate you taking the time.  I really want Tom get this thing mounted without the expense and loss of room from a e-box or cutting holes in the dash.  This seems like an ideal situation...

On 5/26/2019 at 5:31 PM, aandrews109 said:

Boatdogz,

I'm still here, just not too often.  Live in the Florida Panhandle where Hurricane Michael came through.  Haven't used the boat since last September.

Planning to pull the cover off this week and get her cleaned up.  I'll try to take some pictures and post them later this week.

I would love to see this setup as well and how you had the starboard mounted. Thanks! 

Finally got a chance to take a few pictured.  Had to reduce the resolution a good bit to upload them.  Hope you can get an Idea of what I did.  I'll also have to do a couple of posts to load them.

11.JPG.8f0fcce7deb8215b74a90ad38b4e842d.JPG12.JPG.565f4d230824f7b9da71e56c6808cdda.JPG13.JPG.91e391857422d8e444ccd6f068983638.JPG14.JPG.84f097fb2df16d36a62cc65f10812d67.JPG15.JPG.1b6ad038338e864dddd5aa31f7f8b082.JPG