Sea2Sea

Lack of Customer Service

Contacted my dealer in January regarding some rust issues with t-top hardware, discoloration of leaning post cushion, and transom hardware incorrectly installed on my new R222ES.  Originally the dealer said they would handle these issues as warranty items, however they later said replacing the hardware and cleaning the fiberglass would be around $400.  The other issues were referred to Robalo.  I was not happy to hear that I would have to spend more money for the t-top hardware, as I was told it would be handled as a warranty item.  The dealer referred me to Robalo to follow-up on these issues myself.  Spoke with one person in customer service, and they seemed willing to work with me and the dealer on the issue, and they would follow-up and contact me after the Miami Boat Show.  To date, I've not heard back from Robalo, either email or phone.  Phone calls are not returned and emails are not answered.  My dealer has also heard nothing from Robalo.  I asked them to contact customer service again, which the dealer did, although the main information they seemed concerned with was I had given them low marks for customer service on a Robalo survey.  While I have enjoyed my new boat the few times I've been able to take it out, this lack of customer service has me regretting that I spent a significant amount on my R222ES.  I certainly would not do it again. 

Wish I could give you better news. I bought a R222 18 months ago and I have had problems with it from day 1. I have had a major leak issue, depth-finder not working, fuel line issue, hard top leak and delaminating, console leaking, depth finder transducer on wrong side, cushion and bolster melting, and other annoying problems. Back to the dealer at least 6 times and then a trip back to the factory, which I was assured that all problems would be addressed and vessel water tested in a timely manor. That took 6 weeks and it came back with many of the problems and was not ever water tested. I wrote a certified letter to vice president Ann Badree and she did not give me the dignity of response. I am not a first time boat owner and over the last 30 years have purchased 5 new boats between 20 - 26 feet all outboard powered. This boat is a true lemon and was poorly made with almost zero quality control. I would not let my worst enemy ever consider a Robalo to buy.  They have no integrity and don't care about customer service. I too have experienced many emails and phone calls unanswered. Lots of luck. I have turned over my problem to an attorney. Happy boating - right? ARGH!!!!!!!:angry:

I got the same from customer service .. horrible. Promises to return calls and find a solution. Just plain horrible. Never buying a Robalo again. Cant wait to sell it if I can .

I currently own a 2014 R207 and have no complaints about the boat or the warranty service performed by the dealer. However, I concur that attempting to get anything from corporate Robalo is wasting time. I am getting ready to purchase a new boat in April and I was seriously considering the R247. I wanted the dual digital engines and other features that were in my budget, but the current forum complaints and my own experience with corporate has moved me to a different manufacturer. I'll end up with a mechanical engine and less features in order to stay within my budget - but, getting a boat I'll be more comfortable buying.

Wish it wasn't so as I really like my current boat, but I rather buy a boat I trust than one with all the greatest features that can't leave the dock. I'm 4 hours away from either the Robalo dealer or my new dealer so not having to get any warranty work done is important to me and it sounds like Robalo's quality control has missed too many problems lately.

..I had problems communicating as well with customer svc (factory)  18 mo.  ago, Interior vinyl, (posted this earlier)  ..It's pretty sad fullthrottle to see you go, but am on your side,. you have been above and beyond on this site, my next boat will be another brand for sure, PM me /like to see what your getting.

Wow, call me loyal to a fault but I just ordered a R222 after waiting five years to do so, knowing first hand how terrible the corporate customer service is. I felt like I could work around that issue if I liked the boat and it had good overall quality. Its pretty disturbing to learn of these quality control issues on top of the poor service, that combination is a deal breaker. I'm keeping my fingers crossed but that's no way to go into such a substantial purchase.

Its hard to understand how a publicly traded company can get away with being consistently unresponsive and unreasonably bureaucratic. 

I will say that I have found the dealers for the most part to be responsive and reasonable, unfortunately I am having to go outside of my local dealer and pay additional shipping in order to have my boat rigged with and Evinrude Etec Gen 2 motor.  This motor is a Robalo option although its not mentioned on their website, however because I wanted the H.O. (high output) version of the motor it became almost impossible for me to order it. Keep in mind these motors are the same, essentially the only difference is the software of the motor and they cost about $700 more which I am glad to pay.    

I worked tirelessly with my local dealer and they are good people who tried their best but couldn't get it done solely due to red tape. I also had numerous contacts with the Western Regional Manager Donny Covington, who bottom line couldn't think outside of the box enough to make this deal happen, pretty underwhelmed with his performance. 

Thankfully I was able to contact another Robalo dealer out of state, who understood how to coordinate between Robalo manufacturing and Evinrude to make this happen for me. I would love to mention his name but fear he may get some backlash for valuing the customer and not doing things the same way even if it's been that way for 50 years.

I still believe that Robalo are good boats, yet lets face it their are other very good options in the Robalo price range to consider. Lets hope corporate gets their act together when it comes to customer service, which doesn't cost extra and quality control. 

Dabbles,

Hope you have lots of good luck and good times on the boat. Good customer service never costs, it pays. And, as for quality control it is always cheaper to do it right the first time than it is to fix it later. I guess that Robalo has gone a different direction than most successful companies. Sad. Hopefully they will make some changes soon.

Wildoats,

Thanks for the kind words. That vinyl problem is/was pervasive in the industry. Done a lot of reading and it appears the bacteria that causes the pinking has been around about 50 years. Found a few places that claim they can get rid of it, but I don't know anyone who has tried to use them, so no recommendations. Can't find answers, but for sure don't try bleach or mold removers (it's not a mold and the bleach will only temporarily clear it up). Seems covered boats don't have the problem as often and mine is in a boatel, so it's covered when not in use. New boat comes with covers and I plan to use them until there is space available in the boatel for it.

We took delivery of our 2015 R207 in September 2014  and it was totally blemish free. This may be attributed to the dealer -Unique Marine - Tavernier, Florida Keys- doing a thorough prep job.

The only major problem we had was with the brakes on the Karavan trailer. Very premature ( 4months/200 miles) corrosion resulted in the calipers seizing on the rotors resulting in extreme overheating. In short order, at the direction of Joe Pegg  I received a call from the president of Karavan. In a few weeks a Karavan tech came to my house (4-5 hours each way from their shop in Orlando) and replaced both complete axles. I was very happy to pay for an upgrade to all stainless steel brakes. Great investment.

We are extremely happy with our R207 - love the boat. Rides and handles very well with the 150.

Glad you're happy with your R207, as I am with mine. Only minor issues except had to have the fish box hatch replaced due to wood rot. None of the screws were caulked. After that I took everything apart and caulked it correctly. The ski hatch in the center has wood and I caulked around the latch. There's more, but you get the picture - caulk it. There's more wood in the R207 than I would have believed (new boat will not have any wood). Otherwise it's been great offshore, inshore and on the beach. My issue with corporate was trying to get trim tab information since my dealer couldn't (they tried for a week). After much frustration and over a week's worth of my effort I emailed Lenco and had the part number in a day. Calling corporate Robalo for support is a useless waste of time and too many others have said the same to believe it was unique to me and those experiences have lead me to a different manufacturer.

These issues with Robalo remind me of customer service and warranties in the auto industry 30+ years ago.  Most dealers and manufacturers today would handle many of these issues quickly as they know satisfied customers equals repeat business.  Even if an issue may not be covered under a warranty, at least show the customer some courtesy and communicate with them.

I agree Sea2Sea.... Not a peep from the dealer in over 1 year... and nothing from corp twice last year and once this year. They called me to ask why i posted what i did in regards to my issues. Promise to call me back after the Miami Show .. nothing. If i ran my company that way I would be out of biz. My company may not have the most market share but we have the best customer service. Thats why are market share is increasing...go think.!

I had a Fiat once. Fix It Again Tony.. Thats what it reminds me of. Thats why they left along with Alpha back in the 80's, now they are back with the same problems.

Its easier to feed them to my wife then to find a lawyer.

It's sad that Robalo is so bad at communicating.

I will say that despite the issues I have experienced (including Robalo failing at communications), my dealer has stood up and gotten Robalo to fix every issue.  Whether the dealer has paid for some out of their pocket or not I have no knowledge, but I know Robalo has reimbursed them for many of the issues.  None are huge dollars though.

Sea Sealiano,

I have a 2015 R207. Sorry to hear about your problems. Robalo only seems to care about the surveys. I also have a few issues I am working thru. My servicing dealer has been very good. I am also in Massachusetts. Can I ask who the dealer is? Just wondering why they aren't helping?

Disagree that they care about surveys.  Never got mine.  Posted that here on the forum.  Robalo rep reached out via forum and email.  Never followed through, that was months ago.  For me, they have.opened the door to considering other brands when I upsize boats in a few years.  Big mistake on their part.

Hi Sealiano,

Sorry to hear you're having issues. Robalo does have great customer service. I've been with the company for 15 years and Robalo has always done the right thing for its customers.

Please send me a PM with your hull ID and issues and I'll see if I can help.

I have a 2017 242. There have been quite a few issues that I have fixed my self where I could. I did discover very sloppy workmanship behind the walls where the toilet is. Had to take it apart to get water buildup out. It was due to debris from the building of the boat being left inside, had to get under the fresh water tank to get out the debris to let it drain. When taking it apart I found screws in sideways on the mounting parts and therefore did not set into the fiberglass and scratched it upon taking it apart. I have photos of this. I did go back to dealer to tell them. Also had the electronic switch fail had to take apart the bathroom wall again and could not find intermitted problem. Dealer says they found it when winterizing and it was a faulty breaker we will see. I have tried to get in touch with Robalo to tell them about the workmanship in the factory but no way. Now my fresh water pump (has always played up a bit) cannot prime and has seemed to fail. This is just another issue and I think Robalo should honor the warranty with all these other issues I have had. I am asking the dealer to try but would like to contact them and ask. Another issue was the dealer who put the boat on trailer with the bunk too low and when launching would scratch the gel coat. I had to figure this out return it and they raised the bunk and then fixed the gloat at not cost. I have had 4 boats in my life much less expensive and never had issues like this. This boat was not cheap, I love the Hull and the Evinrude 150s HO great. The ride is very good. But these small things that are cheap and with no access to get to switches and fresh water pumps that fail with few hours on the boat in two season makes no sense. They should definitely honor the warranty on it. And a good inspection as being built would prevent sloppy workmanship. 

Push your dealer to fix all the issues. They know and it is their responsibility due to Robalo give them a lot of support to fix issues. In my case, my dealer it is excellent dealing with the problems under warranty.