Sleary167

2005 227 Top Speeds

Bought a used 2005 227 with a yamaha 250 last year and really like it but was little dissapointed with top end speed. Getting about 40mph at 6k rpm with few people and around half tank of gas, give or take. I need to remove the prop as there is no external specs on to see what the size is. Any ideas on whether this is in the right range or recommendations, like prop size, to improve would be appreciated, thanks!

Have no idea how a 2005 R227 compares with other years, but here is performance data for an 2013 R222 with a 200HP showing a top speed of 42.7mph.  https://yamahaoutboards.com/en-us/home/outboards/350-150-hp/in-line-4/f200-i4/pb_rob_r222_f200xb_2013-10-11_occ

Here's a 2014 R226 Cayman with a 250 getting 56.6mph.  https://yamahaoutboards.com/en-us/home/outboards/350-150-hp/v6-4-2l/f250/pb_rob_226cayman_f250xca_2014-02-25_bay

Current R227 weighs 3,750 pounds with 250hp.  R226 Cayman weighs 3,200 with 250hp (tested boat weighed less).  R222 with 250 weighs 3,700 with 250hp.  

I suspect you have a prop issue.

Thanks for the info! I was looking at the specs between the 05 and new models and looks like somewhere they dropped 500 or so pounds from the boat so that may also be part of the issue. But definitely going to check on the prop see if I can get some more out of the boat.  Open to prop suggestions if you have any. 

Suggest you contact Ken at http://www.propgods.com/Content2/HOME/tabid/69/Default.aspx

I know several people who swear by him. I contacted him about my prop and after researching he said I could maybe get 1 MPH more with a $450 prop. Can't complain when someone is that honest, so I recommend him.

Good luck in getting better performance. Your numbers do seem a bit low, and maybe Ken can help.

I have a 2008 227 and my top speed is a bit lower than yours. I think my engine was a little low. I had the engine raised when I winterized the boat hoping it will give me some more top end. Is will know in a couple of weeks. 

I raised my 250 as high as I could on the transom and it likely gave me a few extra miles per hour - but it I was really surprised at how much the new position improved the ride and fuel mileage. 

I need to give that a try.  I have to trim my motor (F200 on a R227) all the way up to even get into the 4000 rpms.  My top speed is around 30 mph.  

I added trim tabs this past winter which makes it better, but still no too pleased with the pairing.  Also, in turns I get a surge which I assume is the prop partly coming out of the water.

On 7/16/2018 at 9:38 AM, Wesley8808 said:

I need to give that a try.  I have to trim my motor (F200 on a R227) all the way up to even get into the 4000 rpms.  My top speed is around 30 mph.  

I added trim tabs this past winter which makes it better, but still no too pleased with the pairing.  Also, in turns I get a surge which I assume is the prop partly coming out of the water.

A lot of good info in the link below on engine height. Right now you're really lugging that motor and need to get those rpm's up. You should be cruising in the 4 - 4.5k range and 6k WOT. Performance and economy will improve when you achieve this. This would also reduce stress on the engine. As FullThrottle suggested above, contact Ken from Propgods and he'll get you dialed in. If I had to take a guess though, I would think a yamaha reliance series (15 pitch) prop would be worth a try. Good luck!

Proper outboard engine height

44 minutes ago, AO said:

A lot of good info on the link below on engine height. Right now you're really lugging that motor need to get those rpm's up. You should be cruising in the 4 - 4.5k range and 6k WOT. Performance and economy will improve when you achieve this. It will also help the lifespan of the engine. As FullThrottle suggested above, contact Ken from Propgods and he'll get you dialed in. If I had to take a guess though, I would think a yamaha reliance series (15 pitch) prop would be worth a try. Good luck!

Proper outboard engine height

Wow, that is GREAT info there.  I appreciate it!  Thank you.  

23 hours ago, Wesley8808 said:

Wow, that is GREAT info there.  I appreciate it!  Thank you.  

You're welcome. Once you get that sorted out, it should be a completely different boat. If you get a chance, update us on how it turned out. I'm sure it would help others looking into that hull/motor combo.

On 7/18/2018 at 10:12 AM, AO said:

You're welcome. Once you get that sorted out, it should be a completely different boat. If you get a chance, update us on how it turned out. I'm sure it would help others looking into that hull/motor combo.

I think it is the prop.  I am currently propped with a SWS 17P x 15.5.  And after doing some more research, my Yamaha I4 F200 should be running a Reliance prop at 15P x 14.5d.  I am going to try and change it up.