Sign in to follow this  
DEK77

Garmin Transducer

I am considering getting the Garmin 742xs option factory installed on an R180 I am ordering. Can anyone tell me what kind of transducer this comes with? Is is it worth it to get the through hull transducer factory installed? 

I am a new boater so also wonder whether the Garmin 742xs will be too much for me. Can anyone comment on how intuitive this unit would be for a new boater?  I am hoping to use it for both fish finding as well as finding my way around lakes in northern Illinois, Wisconsin as well as Lake Michigan. Thanks for your input!

I have the old version which it is the 741xs... For a new boater it is the best, very intuit. My transducer was installed by the dealer. I was recommended to install the through hull. The new one has more detail which it will be nice to have.

If you are fishing in depths of less than 100 feet, the transom mount transducer is fine.   If you are a serious fisherman and do reef fishing, thru Hull is the way to go.  With some thruhull transducers and installations, you will likely loose the side view function as the Deadrise angle of the boat will block one of the sides from view.  On my 741XS and 74SV, I tried several transducers and ended up with an $800 thruhull that allowed me to read the bottom at speeds of 35 mph and super clear images on idle speed.  

Recently took delivery of a R202 with the thru the hull factory transducer and the Garmin 742XS, have had some glitches but has been much better then the rear mounted transducer I had on an older boat. Transducer gives clear picture even at speeds of around 25 to 35 mph. Live in Maine where in some of the rivers and lakes the bottom picture can change quickly and so far the one thru the hull has been great very quick to respond. I would go with the thru hull transducer, done at the factory so will be done hopefully right, heard of some after market issues with leaks from friends who all said have it done while boat is being built.

The Garmin unit itself little bit of technology over load at first but Garmin real good at making a easy owners guide and the unit itself is intuitive. Making it easy to customize to your needs.