Grant

Outboard will not tilt out of water

13 posts in this topic

Hi,

Got my 2018 R180 with a Yamaha 150 a few weeks ago. Most things good, however, the outboard will not tilt completely out the water. I have a ski pole, and at full tilt, it stops a couple of cm short. The rigging hose also seems to be in issue such that any further tilt looks like it will crush it.

Has anyone else experienced this?

IMG_9741.JPG

My R200 also has a ski pole and the F150 stops at about the same place as you described. The tip of the motor is just a couple of inches above water.

From your photo, it seems that you have too much weight at the stern. Does the motor lift up from the water if you had a 200 lb buddy sit at the bow locker?

Ahh, the R200. I think that is the boat I would like.

Thank you for your reply. Looking at yours, I think I need to reset the tilt to allow the engine to tilt further. Looks like a tight fit but at least it comes out the water. Do you have to turn the engine to stop the rigging hose from getting crushed?

I also think the stern is too heavy, but can’t work out why that should be. Bilge is empty and no kit on the boat. My dealer is contacting Robalo.

The cover is also a really tight fit; only just makes it and ski pole is already rubbing through. Will need a patch to reinforce. 

I don’t have problem with the rigging tube. In fact, with the mooring cover on, I have to keep the motor centered to have a snug fit with the cover.

Hi BA, 

Thanks again for the info. I think you are correct about the excess stern weight, and wonder if the fuel tank has shifted a little. Am in discussion with my dealer but am testing the theory by running the fuel tank down and seeing if that alters how she sits.

I have also had a look at the photos of your cover. I noticed that it does not sit below the port stern rub rail. Is that intentional and if so, what holds it in place when you tighten the ratchet? I place mine below the rub rails but then have a lot of tension as it runs around the front of the outboard and also over the top of the ski pole. 

I took those photos after I put the cover on the first time, and I couldn’t get the cover below all the rub rails. On my second attempt, I figured out the proper sequence and I could go under all the rub rails.

My cover has two pieces (bow and stern) that are joined in the middle with zippers. Does yours have the same design?

Now I put up the bow section first. And then tie the stern section, starting with the engine and working backwards totwards the bowback. Seems to fit well,  but I need to do it a few more times to get the hang of it.

It’s taken me a few goes to get the cover on in a reasonable time. Mine is one piece and remains a tight fit, but still more fiddling / learning required. 

I also have an R180 with a 150 Yamaha. When I picked the boat up from the dealer last year he told me that the motor doesn’t quite fit in the stern/transom area so they electronically stop the tilt mechanism before it damages the motor (or Boat).

Wrex, does your outboard tilt fully out the water? Also, does your boat sit in the water slightly stern down, like mine? I am just trying to work out if that is what I should expect or if it needs adjusting / there is a problem with the weight distribution.

The motor doesn’t tilt completely out of the water.

With the big motor and two batteries in the rear, mine looks as stern heavy as yours in the water. I’m not too concerned with it though as the Boat performs quite well. I may move the batteries up to the console area in the future to balance things out.

Thanks Wrex - very reassuring. I am having Trim tabs fitted this week to help with the stern heavy ride (porpoising) as others have suggested this makes a big difference. Hope it sorts out the problem, as otherwise, it is a great boat.