Sign in to follow this  
chumbucket

Rod Tree on R180

Looking for some feedback related to the durability of the gunwhale on the port and starboard sides where the flush factory installed rod holders are.  I am looking at installing a rod tree with connection via a 6 or 12" track attached to the gunwhale in between the rod holders.  The purpose will be for trolling with inline planer boards and using 3 rods per side.  Will it hold up to the constant pressure it will be seeing?

Thanks!

I mounted Magnum Metalz rod trees with 3 rod holders on each on my gunwales and have not had any problems for 2 years now.  I would say you wouldn't want someone to use them as leaning posts but they are  rigid for what they are designed for.  I have a R222 and the Magnum Metal trees have a very small footprint at the base (I believe 4" x  4" ).   I did have to make some shims out of Starboard so that I could mount them more forward where the contour of the gunwales drop off a bit. 

Magnum Metalz Rod Tree Mast

Thanks for the input Smoke.  I haven't even picked up my 180 yet but yet have the need to already try to improve things that I haven't even used yet.  The one thing that I did notice in looking at your 222 is that the gunwales are one solid piece v. what the 180 is where the rod holders are.  This is what I'm concerned about...