Bodee

R 302 - Read Before You Buy

I have many issues with my 2018 ROBALO 302, but non more important than the lack of a windshield wiper. Heading from Sanibel bridge to the Ft. Myers inlet, a squall came upon me. It created 2 to 3 feet chop and rain. Obviously,  I couldn't stop, as we all know, you cannot stop your boat in 3 feet waves. I had to keep a slow heading into the waves. You know where this is leading ... this boat needs a windshield wiper! PERIOD!  SOMEONE IS GONNA GET SEIOUSLY HURT OR WORSE!  This boat has full glass enclosure, you don't have the option to look over it.  Where are the engineers? 

Bodee, I agree with RickR160. I've had boats with and without windshield wipers. The wipers are helpful, but every boat I had with wipers ended up with wiper problems. Nothing quite like having a wave destroy the wiper while you're in a storm, but somehow we survived without it (due in part to GPS).

My R207 doesn't have wipers and yes I can look over the windshield - but not when its raining hard in my face, or when having spray come over the bow with each wave. Then I duck down below the windshield and look as best I can (I use Rejex, a product like RainX and it helps the water sheet off the windshield) and follow the GPS.

I've gotten caught in some nasty storms and in fog. Windshield wipers wouldn't help in either since I usually couldn't see much past the bow regardless. Learned long ago about following my past tracks on GPS to get into the dock. FLIR, Radar and wipers can help in some conditions, but GPS shows me where I need to be. I just go slow, follow my past track and I keep a proper watch out for other boats or ships. Never much fun, but it gets me home.

Do/did they have full glass? With full glass you cannot see anything, so I do not agree with either of you and I also have had numerous boats without wipers. With Gullwings on and full glass you are completely blind! And if you both feel that is OK then I guess your degree of keeping family safe is different than mine.  Take a look at other boats in this class with full glass and tell me which on does not have a wiper.  Safety!  And I couldn't see past the windshield! You guys are covering for safety and a complete disregard for what "should" be one this boat and deep down you know it! My 12' john boat didn't have wipers either I guess.  

First, no, I haven't been on a boat with glass like the 302 so I cannot speak to how good/bad it is. I did a bit of research and only looked at boats similar to the 302 and some had full glass, others not. Same for the wipers. I did see several with full glass and no wipers, so Robalo isn't the only manufacturer doing that. I could see missing the lack of a wiper in the sea trial, but I would sure add a wiper if I felt it was needed. I came close to adding one on the R207, but the Rejex gave me good enough vision in hard rain and in light rain I just look over the windshield if I need to.

No Wiper
Sea Hunt Gamefish 30 (looks to be full glass)
Key West 281 Billistic (looks to be full glass)
Key West 351 Billistic (looks to be full glass)
Mako 334 CC (partial)
Tidewater 320 CC Adventure (looks like full windshield, no sides)
Calcutta 263 (looks like full windshield, partial sides)
Cobia 301CC (looks to be full glass)
Edgewater 320CC (full glass wraparound windshield)
North Rip 30 (partial)
Regulator 31 (partial)
Wellcraft 302 Fisherman (almost full glass - slight opening at top)

With Wiper
Boston Whaler 280 Outrage
Southport 282
Everglades 295
Grady White Canyon 306
Scout 300 LXF
World Cat 320CC

Haha ... don't make me embarrass you with pictures of the "full glass" boats you didn't research.  Lol.   Do your homework before you post!  And maybe you should invest $200k in my boat, and I'll sell it to you without the windshield  ... lol.  I asked a dealer to add it, but he said it would be approximately  $2k if he could do it.  

The reality is this thread wasn't started for you and I to debate industry windshields.  Since being diagnosed with Parkinson disease, I have had a harder time controlling my emotions. I'm not sure of your background, but let play this out for you "FULLTHROTTLE" as I see it could go down.  Let's say there's an unfortunate accident involving a R302. Let's say it happens to be raining.  Guess what the lawyers are going to investigate? YOU GOT IT WIPERS! In Ohio you are required to have wipers on your street legal golf carts.  Why? Rain!  So you can see!  Why do you have wipers on your car? So you can see!  Why do Boston Whaler put wipers on their boats? So you can see!  Why did Robalo NOT put wipers on the 302? COST!  Guess what? It will cost dearly!  Courts don't care about "monkey see, monkey do."  Who has what and who doesn't.  Why? And why not!  GET IT!

This thread is about safety .... YOUR FAMILY ... MY FAMILY ... CUSTOMERS FAMILIES.  GET IT!   If I need to get more detailed let me know.  

FULLTHROTTLE  -You admit you have never been in the R302, let alone in a rain storm when your fearing for your life and cannot see past the windshield. Yet, you feel compelled to post on here defending ROBALO and their inferior quality. I must assume you are related to the owners or work for the Company, because I cannot understand any other reason you would be trying to put "LIPSTICK ON A PIG."

On 1/22/2018 at 8:08 AM, Bodee said:

Haha ... don't make me embarrass you with pictures of the "full glass" boats you didn't research.  Lol.   Do your homework before you post!  And maybe you should invest $200k in my boat, and I'll sell it to you without the windshield  ... lol.  I asked a dealer to add it, but he said it would be approximately  $2k if he could do it.  

you spent 200k and you are complaining about another 2k to have a dealer install it?

I like the idea of a windshield but the problem with salt water is that salt water can streak.  I suggest using Rain-X at least on glass.  I am not sure if it's bad for acrylic windshields but it works great for visibility.  

Was there ever a resolution to this series of posts. Personally, I have owned  several boats and at least half did not have wipers and the other half that did, the wipers did not help that much during the 1/2 of 1/2% of the time they were used.

My latest boat a Sailfish 245DC was ordered with a wiper, but due to some screw up on the salesman's part I didn't get it. I ordered one from Sailfish and have installed the switch, and plan to install the wiper motor and wiper when time allows and fish aren't biting (February - April).

I had one on my Albemarle and yes, they aren't like a car's wiper and yes, I had to adjust it on the windshield fairly often. It caught the rags when washing the boat. It would smear things around unless there was a lot of water on the windshield. But, more than once when caught in a hard rain or wind driven spray it was all that allowed me to see ahead. I can follow the GPS and radar will allow me to see other boats. However, fish nets, crab pots and floating debris are better found with my eyes. I probably only used the wiper about once a year, but over the 10 years I had the Albe there were a couple of times I was very glad I had a wiper.

With my R207 I'd stand up and look over the windshield and wipe my eyes a lot while getting soaked, but the Sailfish windshield is taller so my only option would be to open the center windshield and try driving while standing in the center of the boat.

So, I'll be installing a wiper on the Sailfish and hope I don't need it, but I'll have the piece of mind knowing it's there if I do need one. Right now the Rejex on the windshield has worked great for light rain and occasional spray but I haven't had it out in a driving rain or constant spray yet. Almost guaranteed to have that once I start taking the boat offshore more.

So in my opinion, the resolution to the wiper issue is more based on what the owner wants, not that everyone should have a wiper on their boat. I want one due to my boat's windshield design and my use of the boat. Never thought about getting one on the R207 and probably would have only used it 1 time in 3 years if I'd had a wiper. For most boats under 35 feet, but over 20 I'd say the manufacturer should offer one as an option.