Sign in to follow this  
Master Chief Paul

Robalo r222

I just picked up my new r222. I want to mount a trolling motor. This boat will mostly be used in fresh water with one or two salt water trips a year. Any suggestions on makes and models?  What ever it is, it’ll need a long shaft. 

If you want GPS control on the trolling motor, your choices would be limited by the GPS you have. MotorGuide is only for Lowrance and Minn Kota is only for Garmin. I think for the boat size, you need to get the longest shaft and highest thrust available, with 36v battery.

Master Chief, I have a 2017 R222ES and absolutely love it. I put an outboard mounted trolling motor on my boat and see great value in the bow mount you’re looking for. Regardless, just be aware of the additional weight this will add with the 36V batteries. I was aware, but you should know it will be noticeable. Batteries were professionally installed aft/port and this has created a slight list which can be offset through trim tabs. I also noticed about a 3 mph wot reduction in speed.  You should be prepared for this as well. Just sort of an FYI I guess. 

I also have Lowrance GPS.

Due to the high bow of the boat, as well as the fact that I do bottom fishing with 1~2ft waves, I think I need to get the Motor Guide Xi5 105 lbs Thrust 72" Shaft

https://motorguide.factoryoutletstore.com/details/549873/motorguide-saltwater-xi5-wireless-electric-steer-bow-mount-trolling-motor-941700170.html?category_id=24611&catalogitemid=491909

I will probably put a stainless plate in front of the anchor locker door to get some clearance. For the bow lights, I will get a pair of side-mount nav lights.

I haven't 100% made up my mind yet, as few boats on the west coast use trolling motors in the ocean. My boat techs are trying to discourage me by saying that "trolling motors are only for bass boats" .... but I really want to be able to spot-lock on a reef.

BA and Otis,  Thanks for the feedback.  I'll look into that Motor Guide.  I get 20% off at Bass Pro.  As far as the additional weight, I've got 2 batteries port aft.  There is a noticeable list to port, for which I use the trim tabs to compensate.  The batteries for the new motor will be aft starboard, so they should hopefully even it out a bit.  I got the r222 because I live on Lake Travis in Texas.  My Tracker, though a nice little fishing boat, didn't handle the big weekend waves too well.  Lots of bottom slapping, which hurt my wife's back.  This bigger boat handles the choppy weekend water much better.  Travis is 63 miles long and there are some ocean going vessels and disco boats that kick up some vicious wakes. 

You’d think we’d have similar configurations. My starting and aux batteries are just outboard of centerline aft port. Now throw three more batteries aft port. My fat ass favors starboard side of helm so it’s a wash. 

Master Chief Paul, keep me advice we have R222es and this is on our 2do list.  We love ours, and are here in Jacksonville.  Retired CWO, LDO. Nice job in pics ba_fisher, we're running Lowrance HDS9