RMRSKI

Thinking About Robalo R207

Considering purchasing the R207 versus R 227. Although I'd rather get a larger boat, the R207 is a much better designed boat so I think I will get that.

I am thinking about upgrading to a 200HP engine as opposed to the 150HP.

Interested to hear thoughts on the R207 in general and engine choices.

I bought my R207 in early 2015. Very happy with the boat in general, but like all boats I've owned there could be improvements. I've got a 150 and I'm happy with it. Cruise about 23-26 and top end around 40 or so in ocean waters with light chop.

I've added several 'features': Trim tabs (a must in my opinion), Autopilot (I need for trolling while fishing alone), Underwater LEDs (for fishing at night). Two V-locks 1. on the gunwale for mounting a cutting board. 2 on the ski bracket for adding extra rod holders. Using the V-lock allows me to remove the items when taking the family out to the beach so they're out of the way. There is more of course, but those were important to me.

The boat handles great. When I first got it I took in out in steep 4 foot waves to see how it would handle them. It did great. Since then I've taken it offshore several times as I know it can handle the waves pretty well. I've also had 5 people in the boat and 2 kids on a towable. Using the trim tabs I was able to get it up on plane fairly fast, so the 150 will handle most normal use. The 200 might do better, but I haven't been in an R207 with a 200.

Only design negatives are related to handling drainage. The front cup holders drain into the center storage causing mildew if you can't get it dried out regularly. I added length to the cup holder drains to take the water all the way to the back of the center storage so it would get into the bilge before causing mildew. The small storage areas under helm and passenger seats drain into the bilge (not much of an issue, just thought they drained overboard before I got the boat). Rain or wash water will go under the back seats into the bilge after getting everything wet in those storage areas(again mildew issues, wet batteries, etc.). Rear rod holders drain into the same area by the rear seats. I swapped out the rod holders for rod/drink holders and added a hose to take their drainage directly to the bilge. Of course, it is a boat and you've got to expect things will get wet. Just was disappointed Robalo didn't make some minor changes to handle the drainage better.

I was only interested in the head for my grandkids use and for some storage area. I doubt many adults could use it due to the very low height. In an emergency I could use it, but it would be difficult. Grandkids have had no issues when they've needed it.

I'm not sure where you intend to use it or how you'll use it, but I've put mine to good use (about 500 hours in 3 years) in everything from offshore storms to calm shallows. Unlike my previous large fishing boat, my wife and grandkids love this one. That alone makes it the right boat for me, but I like it too. Handles well in all sorts of conditions, is comfortable for passengers, and is still a good fishing boat.

Hope this helps with your decision.

I have a 2016 R207.  This is my first power boat (former sailor) so can't really compare to anything else.  But, I absolutely love the boat.  As Full Throttle says, the boat handles great.  I don't go in the ocean, but I do venture into the Chesapeake Bay occasionally and if it's rough out the boat is just a beast - solid and smooth -  I feel very comfortable when it gets rough.  Kind of reminds me of the road feel of a german car (I drive an old audi) - just very solid.

I have the 150 - didn't really think much about the 200.  150 is more than adequate for me - I cruise comfortably in the upper twenties and sometimes will push it to low 30s (WOT for me is about 41).  Most of the time I go out it is with just two adults and a dog - could potentially see wanting a 200 if a fuller load was more the norm.  I have been out with as many as 6 on board though and it was not an issue (including pulling a tube).  Fuel efficiency is an obvious factor here and I like that about the 150 vs. the 200.  I didn't get the trim tabs and haven't really felt I need them - but I am generally boating in rivers in calm to moderate conditions with a modest load.

I did consider the larger R227, but I liked the cockpit layout of the R207 better and decided I didn't need the larger size (plus it was about 10 to 12K more expensive).  The salesman also told me that the bimini top on the R227 was not as good a design as on the R207 (straps instead of poles in the front) - not sure if this is still the case but perhaps something to look at if you are comparing the two.

I thought briefly about Grady White and Whaler, but the price difference is hard to justify in my mind.  I've rented Scouts before and like them, but think the Robalo is heavier and provides a better ride.  Lots of other choices out there too obviously. 

Hope this helps - could luck with your decision.

My 2018 R207 is on the way - should have it by the end of January.  I got the Yamaha 200 - it's about the same weight as the 150 and better gas mileage.  The cost difference isn't really that much when you factor everything else in that you'll be paying for.

I'll grant you there isn't much difference in the cruising and WOT between the two. However at the low end the 150 does a couple of things I like. A slower trolling speed is one and I need that for a couple of species of fish. The other is a better fuel burn when trolling at most speeds.

Since they are so similar at the higher speeds I looked to the lower because a lot of my time is spent at lower speeds. I have a few miles of no-wake to get in and out of the dock, a run of 5 or so miles, then if I'm trolling the beach front or Chesapeake Bay Bridge a lot of the day at low speed.

Granted when I run offshore it ends up about 50/50 between running and trolling, but even then the 150 does what I need. If I was always packing the boat with people on each trip the 200 would probably make more sense, but finding people to go on fishing during the week can be challenging (that's why I added an autopilot).

Guess the 150 vice 200 is an individual thing and for me the 150 was the way to go.

15 hours ago, moose1080 said:

My 2018 R207 is on the way - should have it by the end of January.  I got the Yamaha 200 - it's about the same weight as the 150 and better gas mileage.  The cost difference isn't really that much when you factor everything else in that you'll be paying for.

I don't know how you think the 200 has better gas mileage.  If you compare the 150 and the 200 on the R222 (Yamaha did), the 200 clearly uses more gas.  I would also buy the 200.

150.JPG

200.JPG

Since Yamaha doesn't have a performance bulletin for the F200 engine on the R200 or R207, we need to look at a different boat.  You chose the R222, which I hadn't looked at since it's bigger & heavier.  I looked at the 206 Cayman which I think is more comparable.  The 200 has slightly better MPG in this case.

robalo yamaha comparison.JPG

..I was moored next to a new R207 last summer, They loved the boat, but they also complained about drainage, ..Mentioned the "bow" always had water sitting in the bilge at rest......Just passing this info on,

Bodee, we understand you regret your purchase. You got your point across. You don’t need to monopolize every thread to continue your campaign. Please go find something else to do. 

I also have an R207 on order. The only thing I'd like to add about the design that hasn't been mentioned yet is the windblocker door below the windshield of the r207 is not available on the r227. May not be a big deal for some, but it makes a difference on those long chilly rides and you/passengers want that extra protection from the wind. I used to own a bowrider and remember those cool mornings headed out. Went with the trim tabs since I plan to spend a lot of time in the GOM. I chose the Mercury 150 four stroke because of the easy DIY maintenance, more displacement over the yamaha, it's lighter, and there's a certified merc service dealer near me. You can't go wrong either way. Good luck!

Edit- Also wanted to add a link to mercury's performance bulletin for the merc F150 on the R200 since it's the same hull.

https://www.mercurymarine.com/en/us/performance-tests/bhb/431/?units=imperial

RMRSKI, you will love the 207!  I got mine last November.  Has the Yami 150 which I feel is a good compromise between performance and fuel economy.  Took 7 adults out on the ICW with a 15 kt wind out of the north that stirred up some pretty good waves and the boat plowed right through for a very dry ride.  Easy to trailer, launch and retrieve.  All the best on your new 207.

I know this thread is a few weeks old now but thought I would share my thoughts....

We we're deciding between the 207 and 227 as well.  We ended up  purchasing a 2013 R207 used two years ago and really enjoy our boat.  We do have the 200 on it and I am happy I have it.  Goes faster than I would need (I have topped it out at right around 50 when by myself).  But it's nice to have the power when I have people in the boat.

The biggest selling point for me was the open deck space.  The 227 has much less rear deck space with the lounge seat on the passenger side. I use the boat to fish and crab quite a bit in the summer and I wanted as much open deck space as possible.  I sometimes have 6 large crab pots on the boat and I don't think I could do that with the 227.  The 227 was also only about a foot longer. 

So it would all depend on what you will do with it and your needs.  Want more comfort features and leg room in the bow then the 227 is better for that in my opinion.  But I think the 207 is more suited to my needs for fishing/crabbing and the open deck space.

I don't think you could go wrong with either option and will be happy with your purchase regardless of what you decide.  They are great boats.

That wind blocker is really useful, especially this time of year.  Took it out last weekend. Wind out of the east at about 8 knots over the cooler Atlantic. Pretty chilly until I closed the wind blocker door which immediately made the helm area much more comfortable.  Allows year round boating in comfort down here in the southeast.