Dsutt

R240 - plane on one engine?

Hello all! I will be purchasing a new boat in the next year or so and really have my eye on an R240 with twin F150's. Can any current owners with this set up confirm if it will plane on one engine? I like the thought of that in an emergency situation, say of one engine went down and there was a summer storm fast approaching.

Any thoughts? 

The twin 150s put the boat on plane in seconds. I think the motors are so reliable that you won’t have one going down on you. Typically if it did it would be due to bad gas which would impact both engines. 

Thanks for the response. While I agree  the F150's are one of the most reliable engines made, I still am an advocate of redundancy wherever possible and being able to plane on one engine offers a safety advantage in case of any other failures, such as lower unit issues or a spun prop. That being said, I don't think that not having the ability to plane on one engine would be a deciding factor as to whether or not I go with the twin 150s but it is still something I would like to know. Any owners out there with this setup that can answer the original question?

I don't have a twin power boat so I can't speak from experience. However, theoretically boat speed is related to the square root of engine power. This means 4x horsepower yields 2x speed.

Let's say on 2 engines, you boat has max 40 mph. On only one engine (half of the horsepower), your max speed is about 28 mph. That should be more than enough to plane the boat, which usually planes in the 10+ mph range.

For more info, see:

(You probably want to tilt the dead engine up, though :-)

If you view the you tube at https://youtu.be/VwVIACIS9Bg  will answer your question. The video is the side by side comparison of a yamaha 200 and an evinrude etec 150 HO. They are both on the transom of a 24 ft boat. The yamaha 200 will not plane the boat, achieving a speed of 12mph. The evinrude etec will plane the boat and will achieve a speed of 27 mph. From this video I think your question will be clearly answered.