Jimbos jumbos

buying from non local dealer?

I have decided on a 222es. My local dealer has a 2018 loaded. I can also order a new one from them. But I have found a 2017 with everything I want (and a few more options) in another state that is only 2 hrs away. They are willing to deal. Offered money off and a few freebees

My local dealer tells me that if I buy from anyone else, I will need to go back to them for any warranty work.

The thing that gets me, is the local dealer is nickel and dimeing me. Not offering any discounts, nothing for free (except a anchor and ropes). He wouldn't even throw in fender bumpers

Anyone know what the Robalo policy is on this? Am I out of luck if I want to save a few bucks?

I've yet to get to the point where I'll know what the closest dealer will do for me price-wise. I've put it out there that I won't be paying retail...

Been there, nice people, responsive to my inquiries, let me have the run of the place when I visited ect,, but if they think I'm going to pay retail + on a clean deal bringing my own financing they will loose a very qualified buyer. There is ~6/10K meat in a 222/242 + the back door perks.

All these posts about dealer exclusivity in terms of purchase price and service are scaring me off the brand even though as a life-long multiple new boat buyer of Sea Ray and Formula, I really like the product.

Taking into consideration as well the occasional lack of quality and finish work seen, my question is...Who the he ll do these people (Chapparal/Robalo) think they are?

and the multiple set-up/rigging charges? Ridiculous. Smells of the uneducated getting hosed with BS margin protectors at a car dealer.

Anybody for paint sealant (on clear coat)? LOL

Sorry, not that guy! Never have been. I'm lucky enough to have enjoyed 1mil + of toys over the years and not by being ignorant or being taken advantage of!

Well clearly rippem won't be buying a Robalo...

You won't find a dealer discounting a Robalo, especially current year.  They will add things - mine added anchor and line, life jackets, fire extinguisher, first aid kit, whistle, 4 dock lines, 2 bumpers and lines...  Had to pay a ridiculous transportation charge (the boat traveled with a bigger boat and that boat would have come anyway) as well as a ridiculous prep charge.  Given the issues I found with the boat, they didn't do much inspection during their prep, and they found damage the day of the prep.  I also had very minimal engine hours on for the "test drive" they said they took.   If I buy another Robalo from them, they will be adjusting for my experience.

I know of no way that your local dealer can refuse to perform Robalo warranty work as a dealer.  I can tell you that I had an issue with the trim indicator on my Yamaha, and I took it to the local Yamaha dealer located 5 minutes by boat (including idling up a canal), vs. trailering it 1/2 hour to the Robalo dealer, then 1/2 hour back, then 1/2 hour when the part came in, then 1/2 hour back.  Had a great experience with the local Yamaha dealer, couldn't have been nicer.

thanks for drawing that conclusion when I haven't drawn it for myself....YET

apparently you tolerated that buying experience? Easier to swallow at econo-car $ level I would imagine as opposed to 70-100K

Extras? for the first timer I guess...means nothing to me as there is no real $ there and I have an immense amount of all those "extras" of top quality on-hand.

If some cheap twisted lines, 2 off-brand fenders and kapok jackets put you in a good place, I'm happy for you.

In the same breath you conclude I won't be buying the product as you see it as impossible to meet my expectations, you expect compensation for your last buy? LOL

Yamaha problem/Yamaha dealer network. has NOTHING to do with the boat itself and how warranty issues with Robalo on the boat itself would be handled .

You see no way? Search for all the posts to the contrary, and not just here. 

Thanks for your input and have a nice day.

If I were a Robalo dealer, I'd avoid you like the plaque.

My dealer will compensate me for all the things they did not find (like trash in the bilge), floor damage, non-functional 12 volt outlet, etc.  That's if I ever buy a brand they sell.

You can request it, but the majority of used boat dealers aren't going to be in a position to give it to you.  Unless the boat you're buying is the same make as that sold by the dealer, they will not have access to manufacturer service records. Anyway i bought Robalo boat from https://www.findafishingboat.com/ another person and i had no problems with docs for 2 years.

I started my boat buying experience 15 months ago. Was looking at a new 2016 222ES. As it was coming to the end of the season, I thought I could talk them down quite a bit. They wouldn’t haggle so I walked. The boat was still for sale at the 2017 boat show. Now last years model and still,very little room to move. So I decided to go through the motions of ordering a new 2017 boat set up the way I wanted it, thinking if they knew I was serious they might be more inclined to deal. No movement on the dealer end with the in stock 2016. I continued looking at other boats. Scout gave me a quote on a comparable model which was $15k more than the Robalo. I told them they were too high and the next day they dropped their price to match the Robalo. I was pretty turned off by this and I was starting to see the motivation behind Robalo’s No haggle pricing. They want to be consistent with all their customers. Last stab at the 2016, offered cash. No movement. So I appreciate their consistency and I ordered 2017 exactly the way I want it and love my boat. I also feel good that no one else is getting a better deal. I guess the moral of my story is if you feel that the satisfaction gained through squeezing 6-10k worth of meat out of your purchase matters more than anything else, then you should see your local Scout dealer. 

2 hours ago, Otis said:

I started my boat buying experience 15 months ago. Was looking at a new 2016 222ES. As it was coming to the end of the season, I thought I could talk them down quite a bit. They wouldn’t haggle so I walked. The boat was still for sale at the 2017 boat show. Now last years model and still,very little room to move. So I decided to go through the motions of ordering a new 2017 boat set up the way I wanted it, thinking if they knew I was serious they might be more inclined to deal. No movement on the dealer end with the in stock 2016. I continued looking at other boats. Scout gave me a quote on a comparable model which was $15k more than the Robalo. I told them they were too high and the next day they dropped their price to match the Robalo. I was pretty turned off by this and I was starting to see the motivation behind Robalo’s No haggle pricing. They want to be consistent with all their customers. Last stab at the 2016, offered cash. No movement. So I appreciate their consistency and I ordered 2017 exactly the way I want it and love my boat. I also feel good that no one else is getting a better deal. I guess the moral of my story is if you feel that the satisfaction gained through squeezing 6-10k worth of meat out of your purchase matters more than anything else, then you should see your local Scout dealer. 

are you saying that Scout matched the Robalo price on a comparable boat?  I priced the scout and it was about 10 grand more (and that was after the special pricing they are offering now). if the price was the same, for the same boat, I would get the scout. But I am guessing they were not comparable in options. 

16 hours ago, Jimbos jumbos said:

are you saying that Scout matched the Robalo price on a comparable boat?  I priced the scout and it was about 10 grand more (and that was after the special pricing they are offering now). if the price was the same, for the same boat, I would get the scout. But I am guessing they were not comparable in options. 

Yep. Scout 225XSF. $85K sticker that he was willing to lower to $70K.  It’s actually a foot longer than the 222ES and is also a much lighter boat. I prefer the heft and weight of the Robalo in the chop that I’m often navigating through. 

On 11/22/2017 at 8:41 AM, Otis said:

Yep. Scout 225XSF. $85K sticker that he was willing to lower to $70K.  It’s actually a foot longer than the 222ES and is also a much lighter boat. I prefer the heft and weight of the Robalo in the chop that I’m often navigating through. 

The Scout 225XSF isn't longer than the Robalo.  Scout is notorious for including swim platforms in their LOA measurement.  Look at their website and see how far the 225XSF swim platforms extended behind the boat.  Subtracting those, I would predict the 225XSF is shorter (LOA based on running hull) than the Robalo.   As you mentioned the Robalo and Scout are different boats.  The 225XSF weighs 2200lbs w/o motor, the Robalo 222EX is 3700lbs with motor, so subtract 600lbs and you have 3100lbs.    If Scout made a boat a foot longer and ~30% lighter than Robalo that would be saying a lot.

Regarding the NAP pricing, I am for it.  It helps with the used market in addition to keeping the initial buying process drama free.  When I called on a Whaler and they took 20% off the price 30 seconds into a phone call, having not ever been to the dealer before, I knew the prices people are asking for whalers are BS.  

The fact is some people love to negotiate and feel like they WIN!!!!!  The numbers behind the deal are more important than the boat you are buying.  

Well put. Before I bought my Robalo I went to NADA and checked the price on 5 year old Robalos and compared their loss of value with other boats I was considering. I was surprised how well Robalos hold their value. And part of that is due to the fact their listed price is the price you'll pay so discounting doesn't effect the resale later on.

The weight is important depending on where you're going to be using the boat. I have a friend with an old 21 foot Contender. It is very light (their new boats are heavy). It's fine if you want to skip across the top of the waves when the waves are small, but in heavy seas it gets knocked around much worse than my R207. With my tabs down I can nose through the waves when running into them, or tabs up when running with the waves and keep the ride comfortable. The lighter boat rides great with the waves, but into the waves you'll get bounced around.

It's not about some negotiating thrill. This isn't my first.

You're right though NOT flushing an unnecessary 4-5K down the toilet is satisfying to anyone who is financially responsible.

That's splitting (or less) the approx. 10K in a well optioned 242.

On a no trade, clean deal, $/financing in hand, ordered boat that never hits floorplan?

Experienced boater who doesn't need anymore of your time than doing some paperwork?

what exactly am I paying the delivering dealer 10K over his cost for on a 242 for example? 

When multiple set-up charges are already in the number?

I think 5K for unloading/unwrapping the boat and looking it over/making sure it runs is enough. Especially considering there's already a couple grand charged for that in the price!

This is my point. This is a PRODUCTION boat, not some exclusive or custom toy built from unobtanium.

NADA is pretty on paper, what really counts is the actual real-world $ changing hands for a used one is as is the time-frame of getting one sold.

I'm not fixating on resale, more on buy-in, primarily as I buy my boats (especially this move) to keep long-term.

I'm not a dealer, so I can only guess at their how their financial model works. I know my dealer has a sales floor and sales people and office staff and a yard full of new and used boats. 10k sounds unreasonable, I agree. However, what is the dealer's overhead on the days he's not selling a 242? In order to cover his costs there is a minimum he must make per sale and I can't tell you if it's 5k or 10k, but I know it is there. And most manufacturers force them to take boats even if they can't sell them in short order, so they sit, take space, sales time and cost taxes. Like I said I don't know their financial model, but I also know their profit is probably not 10k average per boat once you deduct the costs.

The boat I bought had been on the floor for 6 months or more based on its manufacturing date. I had two salesmen work several hours each to get the deal I wanted. They added about 2-3k in 'free' additions (I'd like to believe it was more like 5-6k, but realistically I know it was lower). They delivered the boat and spent a couple of hours with me going over the boat and doing a final sea trial. I'm sure they made a profit and I wanted them to. I want them to stay in business to handle the warranty work.

Lastly, I agree, NADA doesn't know what I can get for my boat. I just used it for comparative purposes between boats. I think I could get more.

We bought our Robalo 2017 R222ES last year at the Savannah boat show which is out of state for us, we got an amazing deal spent allot of time with Joe from Robalo there and here in Jacksonville at the boat shows. There is no issue's getting service or warrranty work accomplished at any Robalo or Yamaha service center for us, We have become great friends at both places, but preference is with small town guys. We love our boat.

Well now ... Mr.Joe Robalo isn't helping me out. I was planning on using my boat 6 months in Florida and 6 months in Ohio. So I had each dealer bid the boat.  The Ohio dealer was the better deal, so I went with them.  The Florida dealer has told me ... "you did not buy the boat from us, it is our policy that we will not service your Robalo boat."  I've had to have a non Robalo dealer warranty my boat and pay for it myself so far.  I have called Robalo, text, email and sent messages by Internet.  Hell, even the non Robalo dealer has called numerous times on my behalf.  Since, I have been diagnosed with Parkinson disease and will probably not be able to take the boat north.  Not sure what I'm gonna do.  I have literally cried on the phone to Robalo ... they don't care.  The boat is has so many issues right now, sometimes I just sit and cry about the $200,000 I have invested in this mess. I have no idea what I'm gonna do, since the local dealer won't warranty it and Robalo won't do anything about the boat issues.  Here's a few pictures of what I'm talking about.  I cannot even take people out in the boat because the front window whistles so loud it's embarrassing and my ears cannot take the niouse due to the Parkinson.  Hopelessly in Ft. Myers Beach, Florida  CANNOT RECOMMENDED ROBALO!!!

2018-01-21 10.30.30.jpg

2018-01-21 10.29.13.jpg