Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ba_fisher

How long does it take to build an R200

13 posts in this topic

I put down a deposit for my 2018 R200 on June 27, and it's been 8 weeks without any word from the factory ....

Finally, today my dealer told me that my boat is "going into production" this week. Does anyone know how long it would take the factory to complete the boat? 

My 2017 r265 went into production near the end of April and I received delivery July 12, 2017. Around 10 to 11 weeks.

12 weeks from order to delivery, or from start of production to delivery? I think the fiberglass just takes a couple of days to cure inside the mold. Once you clamp the tow and bottom halves together, the rest is just fitting various bits onto the boat. Does it really take 12 weeks to do all that?

They make the boat in days.  It ships when the dealer gets a load.  Ours went into production almost immediately because the dealer had a 30 foot in production and our 16 would fit on the trailer, so they cut the line.  

It doesn't take 12 weeks to build, but it takes that long in the que.

My dealer said it takes a week to build. He has 3 boats in the lot so he will wait for all 3 to finish and ship them together. Hopefully the boats have all entered production at the same time. Fingers crossed.

Things slow down at the end of the year when the new year boats start to be built.  I have been told that they build a certain number of the same model one after another and then rotate to a series of builds with another model.  So depending on the model you order you might have to wait until that model is being built.  I have not visited the plant in GA, but those who have, have said there are many more steps in construction using hands-on labor as compared to cars.  It would be nice if they would install cameras in their plant and notified the new owner when their boat is being built so you could watch.  

The dealer told me that the boat will complete on Oct 18. So apparently it takes about 8 weeks from start of production to completion. Another week to ship to California, 2 weeks or so for bottom paint and install lowrance fish finder ..... I hope I can launch by thanksgiving.

if there's one thing I have gained from buying this boat, it's patience :-)

As noted by Dr. Pat, it depends on what they are building at the time.  My dealer ordered my R160 and told us to expect 2 months, plus shipping.  Then 2 days later he said it would be there in 3 weeks or so - because Robalo was building an R302 for another customer at his dealership and the two boats filled a transport perfectly.   So it totally depends on what you order, when you order it, and what's scheduled for shipment to your dealer or area.