Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dabbles

How to buy R222 with Evinrude Etec Motor

5 posts in this topic

I'm having trouble getting my local Robalo dealer Tillys Marine Huntington Beach CA, to get an Evinrude ETEC 250 HP, HO on a new R222 from the factory. Its been a big runaround, at first they said it wasn't an option. Then factory wont hang it, then factory wont rig/calibrate if they do hang it...then we cant get a price differential on the HO high output motor vs standard motor. What's ironic is you can go on you tube and the internet and see videos of Robalos running the etec HO motors on an R247 for instance.

I know some Evinrude/Robalo dealers have their boats rigged with these motors but, there out of state and  its like pulling teeth to get this done here in southern cal. I have contacted the western regional sales guy, and just emailed corporate to no avail so far. I cant believe that I'm finally ready to pull the trigger on this major purchase and the hang up is on their end, biz must be really good! 

Can anyone steer me in right direction on this?

Howdy,

I purchased a new 2015  export version of the R222 from local Palm Beach Robalo dealer  and installed my old ETEC 200 H.O. myself.

There is something the industry calls " Transom Lock " where contractual agreements with boat manufactures controlled by engine companies prohibit any other type of  

power plant to be installed on a new boat , except theirs.

Robalo is independent of this Transom Lock agreement, that 's why I bought one !

Check out YouTube.com and search  , Robalo R222 how to remove boat from trailer Time Lapse , you'll see it as it came from factory !

I was fortunate enough to have a local dealer (3A Marine in Hingham, MA) that sold both Robalo and Evinrude as well as a few other boats and motor manufacturers.

See my 2018 r302 that is absolutely fantastic...  So very quick out of the hole!

Winterizing the motors took me 40 seconds!  Yes, thats right... 40 seconds!  Just a push of a button and the "Rudes" fog themselves.

12.jpg

11.jpg

Could be that the button is not connected to anything, and the dealer figures that a Buckeye won't know the difference...

GO BLUE!!!