Jorge

R160 Scuppers

5 posts in this topic

I have been offshore with the R160 with no problems, very stable and dry ride. I have notice the 2 scuppers in the transom, I am not sure if I should leave them open (water comes in and out while stationary) or closed. I have the Yamaha 70hp

what would experienced Robalo boaters recommend?

I have the 70hp with 18 gallon tank. Water come in and out as the waves roll by, but only in the back transom area, never makes it to the walking area of the boat. I would leave them open as if you took a wave, the deck will be able to drain. That is the advantage of a wet deck. My boat does have a trolling motor up front and a trolling battery in the CC. And when I have been offshore the live well was full with bait in it, so the balance of my boat may be different than yours. I am also going to move my house battery to the CC, but this is more for my take offs, as it can be a pig with a couple friends on board. 6 days in a row offshore and the boat sat in the water at a slip the whole 6 days. Tested the bilge daily, and never had a drop below deck. How does you 70hp do with a load? 

Thanks for the reply

I agree completely, I had the same experience with the boat maintaining stability in the chop offshore very well. I will leave them open from now on. very dry with the bilge test at the end of long fishing days. The 70 Yamaha does very well when only 2 on board but when 3 or more.... you can notice it takes a while to get on the plane. It came from the factory with a ski pole and I struggle to get my son (70 kg) off the water. I find the R160 a fantastic fishing boat with all I need. 

The Robalo R160 should have a 90hp on it, then it performs great!

58 minutes ago, fishhead said:

The Robalo R160 should have a 90hp on it, then it performs great!

I do not dispute the 90hp may be the way to go, but not sure about the extra 110lbs out the back and lack of self bailing. In Ohio and Florida where I spend most of my time I have yet to see a 90hp. Only 70hp and one 50hp. The f70 performs fairly good if not great. It's only issue is while trying to ride in a visiting friendly manner. Two at the helm and two at the aft seats. (in my case is done very little as it is mostly 1,2 or 3 out fishing and do not need to visit while run to the fishing grounds, 2 at the helm or 2 at the helm and one in front of the CC) But the wife is the one that needs to be happy, and is complains when I need to tell them I need a couple to move up front so I can get on plane. Trim tabs could fix this, as all CC are aft heavy be nature. The issue with trim tabs is I would have to remove the swim step, that is a great feature also.

Can you give me some insight on how your 90hp R160 handles a visiting friendly manner of two at the helm and two at the aft seats?