Richard Jefferson

R242 Fueling problems

I have problems getting fuel into my R242 boat except at VERY slow speed. It will not even accept fuel on the slowest setting on the fuel handle. Does anyone know where the vent outlet is? or how to check if line has a kink. Anyone else ever have this problem?

I have the same problem on my R180, i have to meter the fuel in nice and slow or else I get a fuel eruption. I have found no kink and have no blockage in the vent tube. Sorry to say I didn't get this resolved. I just stand way back when I think its going to blow.

I have a 206 Cayman and have the same issue. It is a real pain and actually got talked too by a local wildlife officer who happened to be fueling his boat at the same time and noticed my very small spill. I told him about the problem and he seemed to understand it was not something I could control and recognized how slowly I was fueling to help prevent any spills. I contacted Robalo and got nothing but a request to work with the dealer, the dealer is at a loss and does not know how to fix it. Really is problematic and dangerous. I plan to contact Robalo again but not sure what if any support I will get. Other than this one issue I love this boat. Anyone else having this issue should mention it here to help us get the word out and back to Robalo. Nothing is kinked and the vent works.

I haven't taken my line apart to see where the blockage is, but I have confirmed it is in the vent line. I take the vent line off from the fuel tank when filling and it will accept full speed. Just replace it after fueling each time. Not sure why but fuel does not come out of this open line when it is filling so that is not a problem. I am guessing it is in the backflow check valve but haven't had time to take it apart yet. Have it up doing other maintenance items now and will research this and get back.

The last couple times I have gotten fuel I noticed the command link gas gauge of my r265 did not read full. I assumed it was a gauge problem, but after reading the comments I am starting to wonder if , in fact, the tank is not filling.

This post on The Hull Truth's Robalo Cayman Thread mentions that a too-long vent hose on a Cayman inhibited proper venting when fuel pooled in a low spot of the sagging vent hose.

Additionally, Attwood's installation instructions (PDF) describes maintenance of their Fuel Vent, which includes cleaning an internal wire screen that may become clogged with spider webs or other debris that can inhibit the effectiveness of the fuel vent.

The remaining vent system component is the carbon canister, an emissions control device, described here.

Good luck!

I have an idea that you all might want to try.  Go to a hardware store and buy 2-3 feet or more of plastic tubing, perhaps 1/4, 3/8, 1/2 inch in diameter , then the next time you fill-up insert it into the opening of the mouth of the gasoline filling tube before you insert the nozzle of the pump.  Be sure not to pinch or lose the tubing into the tank.  This should allow air movement out of the tank as gas flows in.  But be careful with fumes.  In regard to filling up a tank, remember:  1.  Fill-up in early in mornings because underground gas is colder and you will get a little more for your dollar.  2.  Do not fill-up when the tanker truck is pumping gasoline into the station's tanks because you will get more water, rust, etc., into your tank. 3.  Do not allow your tank to become empty (best to refill when tank is about half empty) because an empty tank will have more air in it and as you add gasoline the temperature will change and condensation will form and some water beads will form and be introduced to your tank; also air in an empty tank will be allowed to come into contact with metal of your tank, pump and sending unit which over time will corrode and cause a malfunction.