CLEMDVA

upholstery stickiness ? plasticizer migration

8 hours ago, Hrokor said:

I had this same problem with my 2016 R180.  It starts small but spreads pretty quickly.  I called the dealer yesterday, April3 and he asked me to send pictures along with the hull number so I did.  I received an email from him today saying that Robalo is going to take care of it by ordering and sending a "COMPLETE" updated new interior cushion set at no charge!

Nice outcome. Thanks for sharing. Am certain many will appreciate this. 

Picked up my new cushions today!!!  They sent all vinyl from bow to stern FREE OF CHARGE!!!!!  You guys that have the same problem get on your dealer to get this done.  My boat was purchased in February of 2016, just over 2 years old and they warrantied in full.

Robalo vinyl cushions.JPG

...pretty sad, I would think they would find another source of materials, ......... Since my "2012"....same thing.

I'm lov'in Sailfish .

I contacted Robalo in January about this issue. Trying to get this resolved through my local dealer. So far I am having no success. How long does it typically take to provide the new upholstery to the dealer? Thanks

Joebalo, can you help me with my upholstery issue? I contacted Robalo in January who finally got me in touch with my dealer to have my upholstery replaced under warranty.  I have not received any feedback from Robalo after multiple attempts and my dealer is not getting any response as well.  I am getting ready to send a letter to the CEO of MPC since I am not getting any help.  Thanks.

I have not been a regular visitor of these forums (sorry) and did not know about the existence of this thread but was glad to find it.  A few days ago I posted the following on the Private Cayman Discussion Group forum (some of it has been slightly redacted):

I purchased my 206 almost 4 years ago (arrived at dealer in Oct 2014). My personal experiences with the boat can be read in numerous posts on this forum.  A returning issue with my boat has been the problem that I have with my upholstery. Over the first two years of ownership, the upholstery, specifically the "faux" woven structured material, gradually became sticky and started to disintegrate. Since my original post about the issue (some) others have posted reporting the same issue, even technicians in my dealership acknowledged that they had boats on the lot with the same problem. It became really bad.

N64ZYHK.jpg 

After some back and forth between me, the dealer and Robalo, Robalo eventually agreed to replace. I received "new" skins from them and a local upholstery replaced the old ones with the ones received from Robalo. That was in 2016. I was happy.....

I7Y5a4s.jpg

.....  but that did not last very long and now I am almost were I was with the old ones after two years. Seats are again extremely sticky and nasty.

SgHC6fG.jpg

I am not a chemical engineer, but believe that the material used is disintegrating (perhaps under UV exposure) and is releasing a substance (crosslinking?) that causes the stickiness. 

I am VERY unhappy with the situation and sincerely hope that somebody will step up to the plate and fix this disaster.

Update:  I have had two very positive conversations with Joe(balo) over the last few days. Joe explained in detail the problems that they have had with the "old" upholstery. Robalo will send me a complete new set of seats with the new fabric that is also being used, for instance, on the new 246 and which is coming from a different manufacturer. Really appreciate what Robalo is doing for me in response to the problems with my upholstery as outlined in my posts.  I will post pictures when everything is installed.

Joebalo, I reached out to my local dealer and don't seem to be getting any traction.  Would you mind pm'ing me to discuss so I can make sure I'm getting accurate info?

Thanks,

Allen

..Yes , nothing new here , My  R180,....2012 had it as well back then !!.....except I had to pay for the new covers ..(at dealer cost )

IT keeps me from another Purchase...since obvious they still use the same vinyl.

For what it's worth, I just ordered a 2019 R207 and my dealer told me that as of 2019, new boats are equipped with upgraded "Naugahyde" upholstery.

IMG_0857z.jpg

On 11/21/2017 at 12:04 PM, CLEMDVA said:

Robalo replaced the bad vinyl upholstery on my R180.

All good thus far. Pretty sure the problem is plasticizer migration.

As a test, I used "SEM 39643 Tac Free" on the old vinyl - this is specifically intended to stop plasticizer migration - and it did, but the vinyl seemed, well, weaker after using this product.

My seats are doing the same thing. How did you get Robalo to replace them? When we called the manufacturer, we were told they had never heard of seats doing this. 

On 5/2/2018 at 7:23 PM, Hrokor said:

Picked up my new cushions today!!!  They sent all vinyl from bow to stern FREE OF CHARGE!!!!!  You guys that have the same problem get on your dealer to get this done.  My boat was purchased in February of 2016, just over 2 years old and they warrantied in full.

Robalo vinyl cushions.JPG

How did you get Robalo to replace yours? My seats have been doing the same thing. When we called Robalo, we were told that they had never heard of seats doing this?

Have any of you bought new cushions.  I am looking at a used 2013 R180 with the 150.  The seats are shot to heck.  Same issue.  I asked a local fabrick guy for a quote.  Wondering what it cost from Robalo to get replacements.  What have any of you paid to have all the fabrick replaced.

Thanks

kingrex: The following is a reply from Forum member wildoats...

"My boat is a 2012, and of course not covered,.. this was almost three seasons ago.. but the dealer did work work me as a 2012 known issue ( plus other years too)... theIr vinyl IS poor.... .anyhow,... I recall all the new covers were about $500.00 and minimal to have them stapled on.  I'm very careful with the updated covers too...as I believe it's the same stuff.  I see the 2019 material is finally nice........ hope this helps"

Good luck!

I got quoted very close to $3K to reupholster all the cushions in the boat by a 3rd party.  Robalo rep has not called me back with a price.