CLEMDVA

upholstery stickiness ? plasticizer migration

16 posts in this topic

My one-year-old Robalo 180, the beige upholstery at several points has become very sticky.  Not the white upholstery; just the beige.  My son the marine engineer (what does he know, I used to change his diapers) thinks this is adhesive or plasticizer bleeding through the material.  It is worst on the back of the seat in the cockpit but also becoming visible on the coaming pads.  Yuck.  Anyone else have this?

robalo.thumb.jpg.212d88b0b8e668a977fc36322f82a78c.jpg

Yup, got the exact same problem. It's gotten really bad lately. I used some starbrite mold removal and it got clean but now its sticky as hell. My wife's shorts got ruined from leaning on the edge while fighting a fish. I was just talking to another boat guy in my shop and he's saying I need to be beating down Robalos door, I dont't think they will do anything for me now.

Here's what I got so far. I joined a Robalo owner Facebook page and first post was about the seats. Turns out multiple 2016 R models have bad vinyl. Robalo is taking photos and hull numbers and ordering new kits and will replace the seats.

That is great news for affected Robalo owners, and your sharing it here is most helpful.

I have found this closed Robalo Owner group and this public Robalo Owner group on Facebook.

I just do not understand why a Robalo customer service rep cannot participate in this Forum and provide direct responses to owners' issues and other questions.

Good luck!

Edited by haz

I have the pink mold issue on a R200 since new , would this be applicable to us as well.

thanks ,

Mike

Ok got turned down back in april for yellowing bolsters R222. Fine whatever I will just order the bolsters. So i did on 5/29. Still waiting. My local dealer has not been able to provide me with awnsers. So finally i try Robalo again today 6/28. Did get call back. Seemed like i was going to get some help but after 3 conversations with Ian Kalinowski. His final response was I cant help you. You need to talk to your dealer. All i am asking for is an idea of when i can get these bolsters. I am just trying to buy them.

Horrible ROBALO customer service. Next boat I will be looking elsewhere.

WOW!!!!!!

I have the same mold issue -- the mold is onside in the foam -- and have been waiting over a year for the company to send two replacement cushions. My dealer has been showing me details of hisr efforts for resolution -- but no response -- and Robolo just dropped my dealer and went with another across town dealer who has told me as they did not sell me the boat they will not help. The new dealer is proving why they have a horrible reputation, and Robolo seems not interested in resolving.  I may buy new myself from the OEM who supplies Robolo so I can at least have cushions that are not pink in color! 

Robalo replaced the bad vinyl upholstery on my R180.

All good thus far. Pretty sure the problem is plasticizer migration.

As a test, I used "SEM 39643 Tac Free" on the old vinyl - this is specifically intended to stop plasticizer migration - and it did, but the vinyl seemed, well, weaker after using this product.

Robalo .. has the worst customer service and so is the salesman and where he works.

It is my first and last Robalo. I have had BW's all my life with Customer Service beyond. I guess you get what you pay for.

I had  vinyl issues  too, R180,.(2012)..For what its worth, luckily the  "Dealer" replaced at cost, (new covers) that I had to have installed., but I think it will happen again,   Getting in touch with the factory is a chore in itself, Factory was "not to helpful at the time on the phone" ,(some rude gal that should not be in cust svc.),...I just am cautious about there interior materials,  After all this time it should be corrected  ! 

I don't care for the centered steering wheel  either, but that's another topic.. It's a Good Hull, but a 238 Pursuit or sailfish next time for sure.  there's lots of great options out there, and that's in our favor.