PJ

Robalo r160 gauges

Anyone know what they come with? Online looks like only RPMs. I would like mph, fuel, hrs, battery. Anybody have any info on how easy it is to install?

yup only tach comes standard but i assume you'd opt to add some type of gps/fishfinder as well, no? any gps unit will show your speed. fuel is easy to check as the tank is accessible on deck and has a small gauge on it. a simple hr meter is easy to add under the cowling too... get one that logs the time the engine is running as opposed to when the key/power is turned on. i think the yamaha f70/90 outboards have nmea ports on them too, so it's possible to wire it to a multi function display to show hrs, temp., volt., fuel burn, etc. but i have no experience doing that. i'd actually like to research that more myself.

Cool thanks! I just saw on their site it that they say it comes with Yamaha command link gauge so let's hope that's true. Yeah I did it for the Garmin 741xs. So hopefully most of it is on there.

The only gauge is the tach, but you can add a cable from the engine to the Garmin to provide all the engine data.  I just added the Garmin and cable myself.

On ‎6‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 4:08 PM, RickR160 said:

The only gauge is the tach, but you can add a cable from the engine to the Garmin to provide all the engine data.  I just added the Garmin and cable myself.

What cable did you buy?

Lowrance Yamaha Engine Interface Cable.   This is the ONLY cable you can buy to connect a Yamaha engine to an NMEA network.  You connect this cable to the engine, connect the two pink wires already in the engine together, connect this cable to a Simrad 000-10760-001 N2K Starter Kit, which also connects to your Garmin or other device.  Sounds complicated, but quite simple.  There are multiple NMEA 2000 starter kits, they all work just fine, you buy the cheapest one available.  

Where the wires go into the engine the rubber block bolts on with two bolts.  Undo the bolts, slide the block out.  Feed the Lowrance wire in through an empty section of the block, slide the block back into place and replace the bolts.  

The R160, like most boats, has a tube running from the console back to the battery area.  The console has a cover with 4 screws inside that opens access.  Use a snake to run a string from the console to the battery, then pull the cable through (with another string attached to leave in there for the future).  I pulled my transducer cable also.  I screwed the network starter kit to the back of the kickplate inside the console, connected it to the power block, connected it to the Garmin, screwed in the interface cable, and viola.  The only thing I wish I could do is display any engine data with a navigation screen.  I have not figured out how to do that, seems not possible.  It would allow me to display for example engine trim on the same screen as the nav.

This thread was tremendously helpful: http://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-forum/621352-success-yamaha-outboard-direct-garmin-nmea-2000-data-via-lowrance-ep-20-cable.html  Has pictures and everything.

4 hours ago, RickR160 said:

Lowrance Yamaha Engine Interface Cable.   This is the ONLY cable you can buy to connect a Yamaha engine to an NMEA network.  You connect this cable to the engine, connect the two pink wires already in the engine together, connect this cable to a Simrad 000-10760-001 N2K Starter Kit, which also connects to your Garmin or other device.  Sounds complicated, but quite simple.  There are multiple NMEA 2000 starter kits, they all work just fine, you buy the cheapest one available.  

Where the wires go into the engine the rubber block bolts on with two bolts.  Undo the bolts, slide the block out.  Feed the Lowrance wire in through an empty section of the block, slide the block back into place and replace the bolts.  

The R160, like most boats, has a tube running from the console back to the battery area.  The console has a cover with 4 screws inside that opens access.  Use a snake to run a string from the console to the battery, then pull the cable through (with another string attached to leave in there for the future).  I pulled my transducer cable also.  I screwed the network starter kit to the back of the kickplate inside the console, connected it to the power block, connected it to the Garmin, screwed in the interface cable, and viola.  The only thing I wish I could do is display any engine data with a navigation screen.  I have not figured out how to do that, seems not possible.  It would allow me to display for example engine trim on the same screen as the nav.

This thread was tremendously helpful: http://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-forum/621352-success-yamaha-outboard-direct-garmin-nmea-2000-data-via-lowrance-ep-20-cable.html  Has pictures and everything.

Thanks for the reply... I already have the Lowrance cable and a NMEA 2000 kit, but my boat is 1215 miles away by car. I was double checking it would plug into my Yamaha F70. I have a Lowrance HDS7 touch on my R160. Do you get trim info also thru the cable?  

Don't you hate when the boat is 1,215 miles away?   :lol:  Mine is 80, feels like 1,215.

With the cable you will get all sorts of data including trim, yes.  You do have to connect the two pink cables that I mentioned.  No idea why Yamaha has them not connected together.

Also, both the receptacle for the Lowrance cable and the two pink cables have dead plugs in them that you have to remove.

2 minutes ago, RickR160 said:

Don't you hate when the boat is 1,215 miles away?   :lol:  Mine is 80, feels like 1,215.

With the cable you will get all sorts of data including trim, yes.  You do have to connect the two pink cables that I mentioned.  No idea why Yamaha has them not connected together.

Also, both the receptacle for the Lowrance cable and the two pink cables have dead plugs in them that you have to remove.

Thanks, I do have a Mako 204 in my shop here in Ohio... But I am really getting the taste of this salt life... 

i also did this with the help of that quoted hulltruth thread above. piece of cake really. so much space under that shelf in the center console too... thinking of modifying it for more storage... maybe move the battery there like Hook-Em Out mentioned in another thread

56 minutes ago, skovach said:

i also did this with the help of that quoted hulltruth thread above. piece of cake really. so much space under that shelf in the center console too... thinking of modifying it for more storage... maybe move the battery there like Hook-Em Out mentioned in another thread

I wish I would have took some measurements when I was in Florida at the beginning of the month, I would have all the stuff fab up for the move already.