PJ

R160 in ocean?

7 minutes ago, PJ said:

Hook-em out. That's cool man. My other choice would have bee a mako. I got talked into going with the motorguide xi5 wireless today. It's basically has all the same features as the minn koda I pilot, just no auto deploy. My only issue is he wants to I tall 3 additional batteries for the trolling motor. So I will have 4 batteries and a battery charger. I have no clue where he is going to put everything. I told him not in my limited storage places. Thanks for all the info

My Minn-Kota does not have the auto deploy.

Three batteries...? Did you get a 36volt trolling motor? I have a Minn-Kota Power Drive Riptide with I-pilot in a 48" x 55 lbs. thrust. That is a 12 volt, one battery, more than enough power and battery life. I ran the tolling motor as the anchor and moved around a lot for 4 to 5 hours continuous and it still have 75% juice in the battery.   

Hey guys what anchor are you using? I'm trying to find one that will fit under the seat in the five gallon bucket

Yeah it's 36 volt. I was planning to use it in the ocean a lot here. I have been told by friends that I'm gonna be leaving the water with that thing. It's got 105lb thrust

15 minutes ago, PJ said:

Yeah it's 36 volt. I was planning to use it in the ocean a lot here. I have been told by friends that I'm gonna be leaving the water with that thing. It's got 105lb thrust

I use it in the ocean a lot also. 36v/105 lbs way overkill for the R160. The weight of the three batteries alone will be fun to deal with. I hope it works out for you. I just have a walmart anchor and chain and rope. I store it not in the bucket but beside the bucket. Never get it out, I use the spot lock on the trolling motor all the time for the anchor.

I appreciate your input. No one around here has the same boat to talk to about it. I emailed the guy about it. I'm kind of in a hard place. There are no dealers close by and I'm doing everything over the phone and email. I'm basically putting a lot of trust in people I don't know. 

28 minutes ago, PJ said:

I appreciate your input. No one around here has the same boat to talk to about it. I emailed the guy about it. I'm kind of in a hard place. There are no dealers close by and I'm doing everything over the phone and email. I'm basically putting a lot of trust in people I don't know. 

Robalo does not have a factory install option for the R160. For reference they do for the more than twice as heavy 226 Cayman. On that ship they offer a Minn Kota Riptide I-Plilot 54" 24 volt 80 lb thrust. The 55 lb is a good fit for the R160 and works great on mine. Anything more is a waste of money and space. I run mine at half speed or less most of the time. I do go full power on the chase when I have to run down the big ones. 

Thanks for your knowledge. I have decided to not go with that guy. Im just gonna do it myself . Im gonna get a 55lb thrust xi5 motorguide or a 55lb minn Kota fortrex. Im gonna just do the 12volt to keep it easy. Do you have just one battery? Do you have a charger? Sorry for all the questions. Just trying to get dialed in. I'm picking my new boat up in 2 weeks!

8 hours ago, PJ said:

Thanks for your knowledge. I have decided to not go with that guy. Im just gonna do it myself . Im gonna get a 55lb thrust xi5 motorguide or a 55lb minn Kota fortrex. Im gonna just do the 12volt to keep it easy. Do you have just one battery? Do you have a charger? Sorry for all the questions. Just trying to get dialed in. I'm picking my new boat up in 2 weeks!

FYI. The Fortrex is only offered in 24v or 36v, and is hand controlled without GPS control.

I did mine myself, it is not that hard. I run one tolling motor battery that I have in the center console. I have a ProMariner Pro Sport 8 onboard charger mounted in the Center console. It's a two bank charger. One bank charges the tolling motor battery that is in the CC, the other bank charges the boats battery that is under the starboard aft jump seat. That way I always leave port with full batteries. Power cables for the trolling motor are run forward to a access plate in the bow, where I installed a plug for the trolling motor.   

This would be my recommendation and these prices from Bass pro are just a reference point. 

MotorGuide #941700080 Xi5 55lb/54" with PinPoint GPS $1229.99 and the detachable mounting plate 8M0092063 $59.99

or what I have a Minn-Kota #1363556 Riptide PowerDrive 55lb/48" with I-pilot GPS $1329.99 and the detachable mounting plate RTA-17 $79.99.

I love my setup, but both are most likely great produces.

Untitled.jpg

On April 19, 2017 at 2:41 AM, PJ said:

Anybody ever take there's far offshore? Also how do you like your boat? I just ordered one today!

On April 19, 2017 at 2:41 AM, PJ said:

Anybody ever take there's far offshore? Also how do you like your boat? I just ordered one today!

We take ours 25-30 miles out into the Gulf fishing all the time, have gotten into some crazy storms at times but with an experienced Captain, life jackets and an EBIRB on board we have done just fine.

Hook-em,

Thank you for sharing your experience with the 12V trolling motor. I'll be ordering my soon now.

How does the r160's bow cooler lid handle the pedestal seat? I've been wanting to do that to mine,  but Im worried it could torque on the fiberglass and cause it to crack.

Any advice would be appreciated 

On 4/25/2019 at 9:37 PM, NCr160 said:

Hook-em,

Thank you for sharing your experience with the 12V trolling motor. I'll be ordering my soon now.

How does the r160's bow cooler lid handle the pedestal seat? I've been wanting to do that to mine,  but Im worried it could torque on the fiberglass and cause it to crack.

Any advice would be appreciated 

Sorry, just saw your question. It has handled it very well. Offshore all the time setting on it in the waves, no sign if cracks at all. The lid is very hefty.