PJ

R160 in ocean?

33 posts in this topic

Anybody ever take there's far offshore? Also how do you like your boat? I just ordered one today!

Not an R160, but I've run my R200 20-24 miles off of NJ. 

Off Virginia Beach I've seen small bass boats, small aluminum and small fiberglass boats - but all within a mile or two offshore and normally in groups with other boats. Near the entrance of the Chesapeake Bay, I've seen them and kayaks up and down the 19 mile bridge tunnel tunnel, but always close to the bridge and islands where they could quickly head in or to the lee side of an island if a storm came up.

You will have to learn what you feel comfortable with. When I first got my R207 I intentionally took it out in 4 to 4 1/2 foot steep waves while wearing an auto-inflate PFD that has an EPIRB attached. I got beat up, but the boat did great. Since then I've taken it over 40 miles offshore many times on fairly calm days. Even with good weather predicted I got caught in a rough thunderstorm and was happy I'd run the boat in rough water before. I knew I was in for a bad ride home, but I knew I was going to get there.

Hopefully someone with a 160 will chime in. Enjoy your boat.

Thanks. I'm in Santa Cruz, California. I'm from North Carolina so I know all about those storms coming out of nowhere. Here you don't have to worry about that, basically the forecast is usually spot on as we don't have a lot of storms. Also the ocean is deep right off the coast, so the swell is spaced out. Unlike the East Coast and dealing the shelf. I'm sure if I pick my days I'll be ok, plus the fishing is really good just off the coast so I won't have to go far. Driveway could only fit the 160.

I have an r160 and boat all over coastal Massachusetts with it. I check NOAA website and so long as it's seas under 1-2 and winds under 10-15kt or so I'll head out a couple of miles if I'm trying to fish somewhere. I usually boat cape cod bay and I've even taken it from Plymouth to Provinctown which is almost 20 miles across cape cod bay (the bay is pretty calm in the summer usually). I've also taken it from Falmouth to Martha's Vineyard before, and from Taylor Point to all over buzzards bay as well. It is a bumpy ride at any plaining speed in the chop we get around here but I do it and the boat handles it and it feels safe... it'll handle some rollers even better I'm sure. 

Hey PJ, have you gotten the boat yet?

I live in San Jose and am thinking of order an R200 from Tilly's in Ventura County. Have you dealt with them before? Any feedback would be really appreciated.

The Robalos seem to be really good boats. It's a shame that they don't have a dealer here in the Bay Area!

I've had my r180 25-30 off the coast on NJ. Wind 10kts or less and no chance of Tstorms. I check every weather/wind service available. Plb and vest stays on. Hoping to get some sharking in next two weeks. Be smart, be safe and try to work with a buddy boat. 

I picked up the R160 for our place in Florida as a economical boat for myself and the family. Being form NW Ohio and boat the Great Lakes in a 20'. Last week I went out the St Lucie inlet east coast of Florida 3 to 12 miles offshore solo 6 days in a row. Worst seas 2 feet. St Lucie inlet can be a iffy one with a out going intercostal tide. I hit it a couple mornings with 2' incoming seas and a strong outgoing intercostal tide. I was apprehensive watching the big boats getting thrown around, but she rolled threw them just fine, and the fishing was awesome. Happy boating.

a1.jpg

a2.jpg

a3.jpg

I live in Newcastle, Australia

I have taken my R160 offshore up to 20 km with no problem. The boat handles waves and chops very well. I keep myself informed of weather at all times and log in with the marine rescue. It is very stable on the open waters. 

Provided you are responsible and weather aware, you will have no problems testing the R160 on the offshore

On ‎4‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 11:41 PM, PJ said:

Anybody ever take there's far offshore? Also how do you like your boat? I just ordered one today!

Make sure you get it with a 90hp, trust me on this!  :)

Too bad getting anything larger than 70 cancels the boats self bailing ability.

1 hour ago, Big_Blue said:

Too bad getting anything larger than 70 cancels the boats self bailing ability.

Can you tell me how your big 90hp H.O. e-tec does getting on plane with just passengers in the aft seats?  she probably really does a nose stand.

I haven't had any issues getting on plane and no nose stands so far.  This engine has plenty of low end torque and I'm running an SS prop.  The only times I've observed any noticeable impact has been in seas >2ft.  But I think this is to be expected from this hull design.  

I just got the 70. I am not looking to set any speed records. This is just a starter boat and my kids are young. My next boat will be my dream boat. Hook-em out thanks for the pics! That makes me even more excited to get my boat! I have been waiting since mid April, but should have her in a few weeks. What trolling motor do you have and how do you like it?

ba_fisher Hey! Thats who I am dealing with. I am dealing with Erik there. I just did everything over the phone. I told him what boat I wanted he gave me some options of boats they had ready to ship out soon. I decided to custom order mine. I ordered it mid April and it is due in by the end of June. There hasn't been a whole lot to the process so far. I told him what I wanted. He said build it online and send to him. Then add $2500 for their fees. I wish I could have seen it in person first, but I know they are great boats. My uncle transports boats for a living and my Dad is a commercial fisherman on the east coast, so they helped me in the selection. Robalos are great boats and they do not cut any corners like most companies. So frustrating there is no boat dealers around here. There are a few small ones and Bass pro shop and that is it! If you like you can come check my boat out when I get it, just so you can see the quality of a new boat. 

13 hours ago, PJ said:

I just got the 70. I am not looking to set any speed records. This is just a starter boat and my kids are young. My next boat will be my dream boat. Hook-em out thanks for the pics! That makes me even more excited to get my boat! I have been waiting since mid April, but should have her in a few weeks. What trolling motor do you have and how do you like it?

I put the Minn-Kota Power Drive Riptide w/ I-pilot in a 48" - 55lbs thrust. I love it. The R160 does not have a good place to store the anchor, I store in the back by the bucket and never get it out. I use the spot lock on the Minn-Kota, it is awesome. And it is already In the water when the big one hits, so you are all set to run them down if needed. And it was needed as you can see in the pics, especially since I was fishing solo. I also loved it for mangrove snapper fish in the intercostal waters. It holds position exceptional and very easy to make position changes. It was a great addition to the boat. Oh, and it hold course very well even in the waves when you use the course button. Love it, oh I said that...    

Hook-em out that's awesome man! That's the one I want. Unfortunately the electronic shop here is steering me towards a motorguide. He said he has had tons of problems with the I pilot. Did you install it yourself? I am thinking of just getting one and doing it myself. Did you get the garmin gps when you ordered your boat? I ordered the garmin chirp and am curious if it comes with transducer or not? One last question. Did you install dual batteries or a battery charger?

4 hours ago, PJ said:

Hook-em out that's awesome man! That's the one I want. Unfortunately the electronic shop here is steering me towards a motorguide. He said he has had tons of problems with the I pilot. Did you install it yourself? I am thinking of just getting one and doing it myself. Did you get the garmin gps when you ordered your boat? I ordered the garmin chirp and am curious if it comes with transducer or not? One last question. Did you install dual batteries or a battery charger?

I actual bought my boat a little used. The owner of the dealership in Florida used it for about 20 hours at his cabin in the Carolinas. It had a freshwater Minn-Kota on it that they poorly installed. I replaced it myself with a saltwater version with I-pilot and a Minn-Kota RTA-17 quick detach and much better workmanship. I have a trolling battery in the CC and the boats battery is in the factory location in the starboard aft seat. I have plans of moving it to the CC to better balance the boat and utilize the easy storage on the aft seat. I have a plastic fab shop and going to make a new CC shelf that has two battery boxes on the under side with lids, utilizing the large wasted space under the shelf in the CC. This will also give me back the storage area in the CC where the tolling battery is taking up now. They had a humminbird sonar with no GPS on top of the console. I pulled the Lowrance HDS7 Gen2 off of my Mako 204 and put it on the R160 and put a Lowrance HDS7 Gen3  on the Mako. 

i ordered with a garmin chirp 54dv unit and it came with an airmar b619 77/200kHz thru hull transducer... not a chirp capable one. i was kinda bummed on that, and i wish i would have thought to ask before ordering, as they have an inexpensive chirp thru hull for not much more money.... the b150m. 

On June 16, 2017 at 10:15 PM, Hook-Em Out said:

I actual bought my boat a little used. The owner of the dealership in Florida used it for about 20 hours at his cabin in the Carolinas. It had a freshwater Minn-Kota on it that they poorly installed. I replaced it myself with a saltwater version with I-pilot and a Minn-Kota RTA-17 quick detach and much better workmanship. I have a trolling battery in the CC and the boats battery is in the factory location in the starboard aft seat. I have plans of moving it to the CC to better balance the boat and utilize the easy storage on the aft seat. I have a plastic fab shop and going to make a new CC shelf that has two battery boxes on the under side with lids, utilizing the large wasted space under the shelf in the CC. This will also give me back the storage area in the CC where the tolling battery is taking up now. They had a humminbird sonar with no GPS on top of the console. I pulled the Lowrance HDS7 Gen2 off of my Mako 204 and put it on the R160 and put a Lowrance HDS7 Gen3  on the Mako. 

Did you purchase it in Orlando by any chance?

10 hours ago, SLRNona said:

Did you purchase it in Orlando by any chance?

No, Treasure Coast area. 

Hook-em out. That's cool man. My other choice would have bee a mako. I got talked into going with the motorguide xi5 wireless today. It's basically has all the same features as the minn koda I pilot, just no auto deploy. My only issue is he wants to I tall 3 additional batteries for the trolling motor. So I will have 4 batteries and a battery charger. I have no clue where he is going to put everything. I told him not in my limited storage places. Thanks for all the info