Sign in to follow this  
Otis

R222ES

Hello fellow Robalo owners.  I'm new to the forum and new to Robalo and have slight boating experience.  In May I will be taking delivery on a new 2017 222ES.  Me and my family are pretty excited.  I purchased the boat for family fun and fishing on the Bay of Green Bay.  I've inundated myself with reading in advance the boat, motor, gamin manuals and on line boaters safety.  Is there anything else anyone else would recommend in preparation for this new experience?    

I got the Merc Verado 25" Digital 200 HP. This was what was on the boat I test drove and I was sold on how they demo'd the dialing in of the rpm's for trolling. I will try trolling with the 200 HP before making any final decision on a kicker. How about you Michigan Man?  What body of water are you targeting and for what species?  

Hey Otis

I own a 2015 R222 that I bought new last year.  I set up for trolling for salmon so but I set everything up so it can be removed quickly and easily for when I want to just go for a ride.  I have the Yami 250 and it would not troll slow enough so I put a 9.9 Honda kicker on it  I love it so far  I live in Wisconsin up by the UP boarder and do most of my fishing and cruising in Green Bay  I love the boat so far. 

Hey Smoke. Is your 250 hp digital. When I demo'd the Merc Verado, we were able to dial in the RPM's to 1.5 hp. I'm not sold on this solution, will probably play around with it for the first few trips. I'm prepared to add a kicker if that's what it takes. Have you done any research on outboard mounted trolling motor. http://www.minnkotamotors.com/Trolling-Motors/Engine-Mount/Engine-Mount/

i saw a 222 outfitted with one and wonder if it will work for long distance trolling.

I'll be sailing out of little sturgeon seeking walleyes. 

My motor is mechanical  I have seen those electric motors  I'm not sure I would like that and had a friend that had them and took them off as he had to have 2 more batteries to run the trolling motor.  I like the kicker as it also keeps hours down on the big motor as well.  I live across the Bay in Marinette.  I fish Sturgeon Bay a couple of time a year.  If you want to see a picture look in the Gallery in the members photos.  Hope you enjoy your new boat.

I bought the boat as a new non-current in Florida last May and had it trailered to Wisconsin.  I wanted a 250hp and the dealer was the only one that had one in stock with most of the options I wanted.  I installed all the electronics, fishing gear and kicker myself.  That video was taken on my way to Sturgeon Bay and the picture at the Dock is at the high class joint Door County (Waterfront Mary's).

I've been there a few times as well. In fact, I work on the other side of the channel. What happens at Waterfront Mary's, stays at Waterfront Mary's. If my boat was purely fishing, the kicker would be a no brainer. With the family and a brand new beautiful boat, they might not be too keen with uglying up the back especially when we're sandbar swimming  I really need to think this through and appreciate your input.