Big_Blue

Trim Tabs on R160

I had Nauticus trim tabs on my previous boat and they were great.  According to Nauticus I would need the 9.5 x 10" Smart Tabs SX with the 60lb actuator.

On ‎2‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 9:40 AM, Big_Blue said:

I had Nauticus trim tabs on my previous boat and they were great.  According to Nauticus I would need the 9.5 x 10" Smart Tabs SX with the 60lb actuator.

Big_Blue, have you installed any tabs of any kind on your R160? Or has anyone? I have a R160 with a F70 and find it a bit anemic on getting out of the hole. My wife and friend like to set in the back jump seats, and when they do I can not get on plane. We just slug along at 4000rpms and just can not get over the hump. FYI... Myself 190#, wife 180# friend 160#. In my opinion all center console need trim tabs and should be standard equipment. They are just too light up front, but are my favorite boat, as they make for a great fishing machine. I am planning on moving the battery to the center console, but this is only going to be a marginal improvement. 50# battery forward 6-1/2', affective center of gravity change around 3-1/4'. But will make for better storage in the easy accessible back jump seat. It will get on plane with an good load. I have a Min-Kota on the front with a tolling battery in the CC. My heaviest load with myself 190# and a friend at the helm 250#, friend on the front of CC 210# and wife on the front deck 180# (estimated 830#). She struggled but got on plane. would not do it with wife in the back. Would love to hear some feed back on any trim tabs and what I am not a fan of, outboard fins.    

I ran both moving the battery under the center console and trim tabs by the dealer.  They told me that moving the battery would be expensive and manufacturer said hull design didn't allow for trim tabs.

I'm now working with local boat guy that tells me both are possible without breaking the bank.  Work is being done later this month.  I'll post results.

A full tank below deck would be so much better.  I have the 18gl that's an additional 114 lbs. 

3 hours ago, Big_Blue said:

I ran both moving the battery under the center console and trim tabs by the dealer. They told me that moving the battery would be expensive and manufacturer said hull design didn't allow for trim tabs.

I'm now working with local boat guy that tells me both are possible without breaking the bank.  Work is being done later this month.  I'll post results.

A full tank below deck would be so much better.  I have the 18gl that's an additional 114 lbs. 

Thanks for the reply. I have already fixed a lot of the shotty work that the dealer did on installing trolling battery in CC and the trolling motor up front. I will not be getting work done there. Rather just do it myself and get it done right. Putting some long battery cable to the cc for the house battery will be nothing. With the trim tabs the only issue is the swim step. How to get around it or just removing it. It is handy for the wife and friend when stopping at the islands. Looking forward to hearing how your boat performs with tabs. I also have 18gal tank.

i'm seriously considering fishing longer cables from my main battery switch to my center console too. such a waste of that storage space under the starboard jump seat. can't believe the boats don't come this way from the factory. also considering tabs but the swim step is handy and it would get in the way of trim tab installation for sure...

On ‎6‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 5:59 PM, skovach said:

i'm seriously considering fishing longer cables from my main battery switch to my center console too. such a waste of that storage space under the starboard jump seat. can't believe the boats don't come this way from the factory. also considering tabs but the swim step is handy and it would get in the way of trim tab installation for sure...

Take a look under the white plastic shelf in the CC. The dealer took mine out I believe while fishing wires to the CC and messed up all the screws holding it down, so I had to redo it all. While I had it un-fasten and lifted up replacing screws there is a large area under it. I want to fab a new shelf with a battery box on the bottom of shelf with a lid for my main battery and trolling battery.

On ‎6‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 10:40 AM, Big_Blue said:

I ran both moving the battery under the center console and trim tabs by the dealer.  They told me that moving the battery would be expensive and manufacturer said hull design didn't allow for trim tabs.

Big_Blue, did you get trim tabs installed yet?

On 6/24/2017 at 3:05 PM, Hook-Em Out said:

Take a look under the white plastic shelf in the CC. The dealer took mine out I believe while fishing wires to the CC and messed up all the screws holding it down, so I had to redo it all. While I had it un-fasten and lifted up replacing screws there is a large area under it. I want to fab a new shelf with a battery box on the bottom of shelf with a lid for my main battery and trolling battery.

Hook-em,

Did you every get around to installing this shelf? Im considering doing the same thing for my trollling motor install.

No not yet, my boat is in Florida and I live in Ohio. I was in Florida for 8 weeks this year, but have spent my time fishing and not upgrading the boat yet. My grandfather turned 90 in January and I want to take him fishing as much as possible. We have been doing very well. I caught my first Sail and my grandpa was with me. Probably the only Sailfish ever caught from a R160.  

Sail 2019.jpg

26 minutes ago, NCr160 said:

Hook-em,

Did you every get around to installing this shelf? Im considering doing the same thing for my trollling motor install.

Sorry, forgot to quote you in the above reply.

No worries, sounds like it was a blast. Ive got materials ordered and will post the finish product next week sometime during the trolling motor install