palmetto25

115 or 150 on 18'

You might try talking with the dealer to see if he can provide performance specs for each. Here is Yamaha's performance specs for the 115

http://yamahaoutboards.com/sites/default/files/bulletins/ROB_R180_F115XA_2013-10-22-OCC.pdf

Doesn't appear Yamaha has one for the 150 on a 18'. However, they do have the R200 with both a 115 and a 150 that you could use as a comparison.

We ordered our R180 with the Yamaha 150 and we have no regrets about having spent the extra money.

Past discussions on R180 horsepower preferences can be found here, and here, and here.

Good luck!

I have the 2016 Robalo R-180 with the 115 yamaha. My boat full of gas with 2 adults, one battery,  will run 39 mph with gps with optimum trim.  38 on boat speedometer. I am turning a 15 pitch solas stainless prop, model# 3431-135-15. This prop turns at the top of the rpm range, which will give you quick shots out of the hole. I once had 4 adults in the boat and it still gets out of the hole quickly. I couldn't full throttle it then due to speed restrictions in the river.  Unless you are going to get a t-top, pulling multiple skiers, or otherwise heavily weighing it down, I think the 115 is adequate. My primary boat activity is fishing  offshore in the gulf of mexico. Seas permitting, I like to cruise about 30 mph. I have no use for the extra speed of the 150, which is reportedly in the upper 40's. Hope this helps.

Get the 150. I am very happy I did. You will never complain about too much power. Shoot me an email and I can send you the 150 bulletin. That goes for anyone. They actually have one for 200hp. My dealer had it but it's too large to post. Fishypete28@yahoo.com

On 2/8/2017 at 10:40 AM, kpate said:

My boat full of gas with 2 adults, one battery,  will run 39 mph with gps with optimum trim.  38 on boat speedometer. I am turning a 15 pitch solas stainless prop, model# 3431-135-15. This prop turns at the top of the rpm range, which will give you quick shots out of the hole. 

kpate, thanks for the report with that prop. Just curious, what is your rpm's at WOT and your cruise mph around 4k? I may consider the new saturn if I go with the 115. Just reading a little about the design, it seems similar to the enertia I had on my last boat. That was a great prop. I also usually fish the gulf with one other person. 

AO, this prop is the solas new saturn. It is 13 1/2 diam x 15 pitch.  My robalo R180 with this prop turns 6300 rpm at wot, which is top of 5300-6300 range spec. My brother recently bought a robalo r180 with the 115 yamaha and identical prop. He has 4 batteries and a trolling motor. His wot rpm is 6100 at 38 mph with 2 adults and 40 gal of gas.  He has the equivalent of another adult in the boat with the extra weight of the batteries. I have debated about getting the same prop in a 17 pitch, which would drop my rpm at wot about 400, per rule of thumb. That would still have me at about 5900. I would expect to pick up another 1-2 mph with that, with some loss of acceleration.  A 16 pitch might be ideal, but solas prop not available in that pitch.  I want to stick with the solas, as it is a well-made prop, and other brands of props, even at the same pitch, can behave differently due to design. The solas was available at my robalo dealer as an alternative to the yamaha stainless props, which are very expensive.  I don't spend much time at 4k rpm, but as I recall, I get about 24 mph at this throttle. I am a newbie on this site, but have owned several boats over the years. I hope this info is helpful. Btw, I really like the 115. It is very smooth and quiet. The fuel economy is excellent. 

9 hours ago, kpate said:

I hope this info is helpful. Btw, I really like the 115. It is very smooth and quiet. The fuel economy is excellent. 

Sounds like you knew exactly what I was trying to figure out. Whether or not the 17 pitch would get up in the rpm range. The 15 sounds great, but since I’m usually lightly loaded, i'll probably give the 17 a try first. If I can get at least 5800 rpms loaded up, I’ll probably stick with it. But I am way ahead of myself. I just put my current boat on sale this past week so it may take a while. If nothing changes I’ll come back to report on the 17. This will be my third boat, but I’ve been on the water most of my life. Trying to find the right prop for my last CC was a lot of fun. :/ You may have just spoiled me. Ha! I really appreciate the numbers and your insight kpate. I’m sure others will find it useful too.

I had the 115 on my R180, ..Yes is Was good,...BUT,   I went to the 150 , It was a different boat, Made a good boat perfect, I would not be without trim tabs either, But other folks seem not to care,  

No worries with another couple, ( the 115 struggled Slightly)...

I got the Yamaha 150 which runs out great, , but I like  you have the  7yr  Warranty attraction with the ETEC, The better steering you have too,(the sea star steering leaves a lot to desire.)

If you plan to tow skiers or tubes, get the 150. The 115 will have to work much harder to keep up with a boatload of people, your gear, and the load your pulling. If you're just fishing the smaller motor will be fine.