Gone Fishing

Buying R227 - 200HP Performance

14 posts in this topic

Hello Robalo Nation,

I'm looking to purchasing my 1st boat R227 and worried about the engine HR 200 Yamaha. Can anyone with R227 tell me your experience with the boat and the 200 HP performance.

Thank you in advance...

Hi GF,

I have the R227 with the 200.  I bought it in April 2016.  The power on it seems fine to me.  My son and I were out in the Arthur Kill.  It was flat as glass and he was running at about 4500 revs and we were up close to 30 knots.  In rougher conditions, it still runs quite nicely.  We also tow inflatables from time to time with no issue.  I don't have much hard evidence beyond these anecdotes, but the performance is pretty good in my opinion.  I certainly would not consider the 150 option.  A friend has a Striper that is similar in size and characteristics to the R227 with a 150 and he does not get the performance out of the 150 that he would like.

Good luck!

AJ

Below is a link to the Yamaha performance bulletins main page and performance bulletins for the R222 with a 150 and 200.  I don't see the R227 but the hull specs on the R222 are similar so you should be able to get a close estimate.

http://yamahaoutboards.com/owner-resources/performance-bulletins

http://yamahaoutboards.com/sites/default/files/bulletins/ROB_R222_F150XA_2013-10-11_OCC.pdf

http://yamahaoutboards.com/sites/default/files/bulletins/ROB_R222_F200XB_2013-10-11_OCC.pdf

I have a new to me 2014 R227 with a F200 (I picked it up in August this past summer) and have put about 30 hours on the motor in the 4 weeks I owned it.  I feel that motor is just slightly under powered for the boat.  Granted, I do not have trim tabs and there was a TON of growth on the bottom of the boat (from the original owner).  But it does take time to get on plane with me, the wife and two kids (the three of them in the bow).  And I also have to play a lot with the power tilt to get the best RPM to speed ratio.  I am still learning how best and most efficiently to drive it.  But if I had the choice, I would have preferred a 250hp motor.

As far as the boat itself, I couldn't be happier!  I absolutely LOVE it, and despite the above I said, I still think the power is OK for what I am doing!  And it really handles the chop and waves incredibly!  

I own a R227 with the F200 on it have ran it for two seasons now in fresh water. I can get a little over 40 mph WOT. It runs very comfortable at 28 to 30 mph. The boat handles the water great and love the boat. I did install trim tabs on the boat for when I have several people on the boat or in cross winds. I would really recommend getting them. Would a 250 be better not sure, I am satisfied with the 200 hard to justify the extra money.

This is super helpful information guys, thanks for posting. 

I am currently deciding between the R227 with a F250XCA and possibly upgrading that to the F300XCA which I don't think is necessary and likely doesn't make all that much real world difference but for only another $1,000 it might be worth it for another 2-3mph and slightly better hole shot (not sure on that one really). So would be interested to hear how the guys who upgraded to the F300XCA did so because I also see the boat listed on Robalo's website as rated for 250hp. 

Second question is on trim tabs. The boat I am considering does not have them. I imagine these can be added after market, but also not entirely sure I need them? Is this only for when you have a lopsided boat and don't want to move passengers around or are running against a strong cross wind? Or are there other uses like getting on plane quicker? 

I don't have tabs and wish that I did. That is definitely my next upgrade. The factory tabs I believe are 12x6, which size is not offered aftermarket. I am thinking of going with the 12x4 or I have heard you can special order them.  

I have had an r227 for 1-1/2 years.  It took some doing but I got it with a 300.   It was considerably more expensive than the 250.   Call the dealer direct.   It makes a difference when the boat is fully loaded.   I routinely have 6+ people in the boat and that is when it makes a difference.

at wot at 6,000 rpm the boat will do 52 mph with 2 and 1/2 tank.  Last weekend I had 5 aboard with 2 skiing at the same time.  The boat pulled the load well 

make sure to get a 17 pitch prop.  They sent mine with a 19 pitch and it took awhile and Lotspeich of calls to get the right pitch prop.   

Trim tabs abs are a must.  Get them with the boat.   

Can't comment about your engine size, but I went with 150 not the 200 on my 207. If I was loading up the boat most of the time, I'd have gotten the 200, but usually out with 1 or 2 people and only 4+ occasionally, the 150 is fine.

As for the trim tabs. Must have in my opinion. And you can get the Robalo tabs after market, just have to do a bit of work. Tabs are through Lenco and to get the right part number had to provide the HIN. Once I got the part number I ordered the tabs and the electronics after shopping a few locations for the best price and shipping. Ended up with Hopkins Carter and they delivered as promised. The custom tabs are expensive compared to off-the-shelf trim tabs, but I wanted the clearance to the ladder since my grandkids are on the boat and ladder almost every weekend in the summer.

The tabs provide bow down when riding into the waves and it makes it seem like the waves are a foot smaller. Also, makes the boat plane at lower speeds and reduces bow lift when pulling towables up to plane. Helps side to side balancing when one side of the boat is overloaded or the wind and waves push one side up. They should be standard IMO. Since wife and grandkids ride in the bow area a lot, they all noticed the better ride after I put them on.

Hope this helps - enjoy your boat.

Hi,

I am not an expert on marine motors.  I tried a R222ex with Y200 and Y250.  The Y250 was a Yamaha 250XA V-Max V6.  We paid the extra money for the Yamaha 250XA V-Max V6. It was faster with a light and heavy load.  The engine was quieter and appeared not to strain.  The V6 does have a few more moving parts that could break, but most Yamaha mechanics explained this engine is built to handle more wear-and-tear and would have less maintenance costs.        

Had a r227 last year before buying a r265. My r227 had a Yamaha 200 without trim tabs and we loved the boat. The 200 was plenty hp for us. Buy it without trim tabs. If you are not happy have them installed. Our trips were mostly confined to the inner bays of OC but did go into the Atlantic at times. Never had a problem with its power.

I have a 227 with the 200HP and it seems fine for my needs.  I had 8 people (4 adults, 4 kids) on the boat and did some cruising/tubing and it performed fine.  My top end speed is limited by the size of the boat relative sea conditions.  I don't feel comfortable cruising faster than 30MPH in my boat (which is ~4000 RPM with the 200HP) unless it is a super calm day on the LIS so the only thing the 250HP would get me is a faster hole shot, which would be a nice to have but not a need to have.  I asked for a quote for an upgrade to the 250 and it didn't seem worth the cost to me.